Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an 83 Bronco to use for daily driver while I work on my 74 project Bronco.
The Bronco has a carbed 302 with 60k miles, C6 tranny with 10k miles on it, true dual exhaust w/headers, new tierod & ends, new ball joints, new tires w/spare rims. The interior is rough, no carpet. Small rust spots on the body, but nothing major. The problem is it's not charging, alt is ok, voltage reg is ok.
He's asking $300 for it as is, my 2 questions-what might be the problem, and is this a reasonable price?
The Bronco and I are in Connecticut. Thanks

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
If its not charging....

Definately is somewhere in the Alt, Regulator or Battery. Although one may not be bad by itself, it may be garbage when with the other way.

Even if you buy it for 300, Drop in 200 for an alt in battery, and some more for carpet....Your still way ahead of the game. Thats not a bad deal at all for an 83 with 60k on it. Post some pics if you get a chance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhhh, OK!
Anyway, I live about 40 miles from where this Bronco is, with a trio of fresh batteries, could I drive it home? Uhaul says there is a shortage of trailers in Connecticut, and won't rent one for local use, trying to figure out other options.
I'm going to look at it Sunday, I'll post pics.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
I would just see if I could scrounge a cheap alternator somewheres instead of draining 3 batteries.

Scratch that, I just read your post a little bit more thoroughly, you say the alternator is good and the voltage regulator is good, but its not charging. That does not make much sense. Did you have the alternator tested?? Could be an intermittent short or something somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I'm going off what the seller has told me, as I haven't seen it yet (I know, thinking about how to get it home before even looking at it-a LITTLE ahead)
He told me both the alt and the voltage regulator tested fine, he works next to Autozone, so the problem is somewhere else. Assuming it's not so easy I can fix it when I buy it, otherwise he would have fixed it..............

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Call Ryder/Budget or see if there is Uhaul near where the Bronco is and rent it one way from there to your town. Or reserve one for local use on their website. For $300 you can't go wrong. You can sell it for more than that.

Don't trust what the owner says, especially after Autozone "diagnosed" it. They told me my 2 month old Optima couldn't be charged and I needed to buy a new one. I'm sure the fact that I was 2 hours from home and it was a big show weekend in that town had something to do with that though.

Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!!!

I went and saw it today. ZERO body rust-some little stuff from highway rocks, small nicks, but that's it. The engine is a 302/5.0 from an LTD, EFI converted to carb to match the vehicle. He tore down the engine, replaced the bearings, added a mild cam. Front end has a limited slip, rear (8.8) has a posi-I thought they were the same thing?? So he replaced the engine, installed the C6, did the ball joints, tie rods, ujoints. He's not sure of the xfer case, said it's Borg Warner, didn't know which one. Manual hubs in front, 35 gallon gas tank, factory tow package, which he said meant dual shocks all around, 5 3" leaves in rear (?)
He has had the alt tested out of the vehicle, but it tested ok, new battery, new voltage reg, starts & runs smooth, but it's running off the battery, not the alt output. He's got the dash torn apart looking for the bad wire, so that makes the interior look bad, no carpet in the front, the seats are ok shape.
The problems as I see it (other than the electrical):
No rear windshield-he's got plexiglass in it now.
Homemade exhaust from the headers back, exhaust dumps into the rear wheels. Come back for pics-you really got to see it. Not just appearance, but I've got to pass Connecticut emissions, he did 2 years ago, but it's iffy, he's got little to none of the emissions stuff hooked up.
He offered to lower the price if he could keep the Kumho 13x10.5's that are on it now, since my 74 has the same size tires, I wouldn't mind it-he offered to sell it for $150 with the tires from his 94 Ch*vy Blazer.:shocked
Are the 83's 5x5.5 BCD-the same as the early broncos? (please, please yes!)
Pics to follow once I figure out how to use neighbor's digital camera.
Please share opinions!

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
what a deal!! I dont think you should be asking like your not gonna do it... even at 300 you are ripping that guy off so bad!!! Lucky you, welcome to the site, Ill walk ya through the rear window thing when you find one, or a whole new tailgate after messing with it 1000 times!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where should I look for a replacement window, is that something that can be bought at a glass shop?

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
overall best bet is a junkyard. New replacement windows for anything are way to expensive especially since its a vehicle you can find in a yard for 40-50 bucks per peice of glass(I still have to replace my pass top glass... a $700 window.. I gotta get it for 50 in my 2nd favorite yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts