Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1984 bronco with the 4.9 I6 and it will start and run but there something wrong with the chargeing system cause all that my battery reads i 11.4
and i know that aint right so i replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, i checked the positive and negitive off the battery!! but still i only get like 11.5 and after i drive for a while i kills the battery!! please help!!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Either your battery is NFG

or you got yersef uh voltage drain. Disconnect the postive clamp from the postive terminal and insert yersef' uh test light tween' em'.

If'n the bulb lights you done got yersef' uh drain alright.

To check the battery either take it in and have it tested or remove both battery clamps, charge the battery and stic a volt meter tween' them posts.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
91 Posts
How are you checking the wires? Are you checking resistance, or doing a voltage drop? Testing Resistance does not work because if a couple strands in the cable are good it will read low resistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my buddy was checking it for me but he said he checked it at the back off the battery well runing and only got 11.5 volts

·
Registered
754 Posts
84 charging system?

well my buddy was checking it for me but he said he checked it at the back off the battery well runing and only got 11.5 volts
=============
And the meter is ???

Why not get somebody like Autozone to test the regulator output and do a battery load test. Or any battery store will do the same test for free.
Dirt simple and costs nothing.
Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might also check the regulator plug...I had a light flickering problem and check everything battery,alternator,regulator and fuseable links for possible shorts and could find nothing...put a voltmeter and got reading anywhere from 10.5 to 11.5 and would bounce around...got to checking the wires on the regulator plug and found one that was barely in there...bought a new one from carquest for about $12 bucks...put it on chk everything again and had 14 amps steady...just a thought.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts