Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So a little more progress today. Of course I couldn’t start until after 12 when we got home from shopping and lunch and now I have to stop to go to my in-laws for dinner (yay.....) but I managed to get both tanks dropped. Once I looked at the rear tank, I was hoping if I removed the top straps, I could pull the tank from up top and then replace the bottom straps with no weight on them. Of course no luck. But I got a little parts graveyard building beside the garage now.

My plan is while my buddy is fixing wiring tomorrow, I can run and pick up a bunch of new 3/8” hardware, wire wheel the frame, at least where the tanks sit, spray some paint and then get the tanks back in before the day is over. If I’m super lucky, get the tanks hooked, throw some gas in and potentially start it.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got more done today. Got a late start but I got the frame where the rear tank sits wire wheeled and sprayed black. Still need to do the rest of the frame but at least I can get the tank in. Also, my buddy showed up around 12:30, and we got all the wiring figured out, got rid of the useless push buttons, and now the truck tries to start using the key. Just need to get a tank in it, or a gas can under the hood and see what happens.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well I was originally gonna polish the wheels I picked up but it turns out my buddy knows a guy who owns a mechanical repair shop and does powder coating on the side for fun. After getting multiple quotes and the cheapest one being $560 up to $850 for four wheels, he beat them all at $400 even. And his work is outstanding. And they’ll be done by Friday. Hard to beat that. I’ll definitely post a picture when I get them back.

Reactions: reptillikus

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Small win today. Finally finished installing Kilmat over the entire floorboard. Now to just do behind the headliner.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I got the overhead covered in Kilmat. Glad that’s over lol what a shoulder workout

Also, I think I'm about to order new shocks, and I can't decide between KYB Gas-A-Just or Bilstein 4600s. No plans for hauling or towing, and may lower the rear of the truck an inch or two. Any suggestions, and it doesn't have to just be one of the two I mentioned.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So after looking at my fuel lines last night, I’m thinking everything from the carb to the tanks needs to be replaced. For those who replaced their fuel lines, what did you replace them with, flex line all the way, pre bent fuel line or make your own? If you made your own, what materials and tools did you use? I’ve never made fuel or replaced fuel hard lines before. I’m currently considering a full set of hard lines from LMC

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I’ve forgotten to update this in a while. I replaced the fuel lines, new tank selector valve, got my wheels back from the powder coater, and also snagged a F4TE 351 to rebuild. I got the engine torn down to a bare block today. Not sure if it’s rust at the bottom of the cylinders or not but I’ll still be taking the block to the machine shop to get checked for cracks and new cam bearings at a minimum. I can’t decide on a cam to run though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So the engine got dropped off a the machine shop this morning. I figured since I wanted it checked for cracks and new cam bearing installed, I have them do an align hone on the mains as well as hone the cylinders. Sad news is that the crank needs a fair amount of work. It just happened to be that the spots where I ran my finger nail across the rod journals were nice. But there were definitely some spots that require being ground .020” or .030”. I went ahead and order ARP main bolts so those will be here Monday and hopefully, assuming the government doesn’t shut down and require me to go to work Monday to keep myself in a paid status, I should be able to drop them off at the machine shop Monday.

I got the rear fuel tank in with new straps and rubber besides the straps at the top. Everything is plugged in and plumbed besides the return valve. I have two Motorcraft fuel vapor return valves and grommets that should be here Monday so I can finish up the tank install. Really the only thing stopping me from running the truck is gas lol so I might actually have this thing running before Christmas.

And my sign showed up from Summit. Bought to get myself to the free shipping threshold lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I stopped by the machine shop to drop off my new ARP main bolts. Good news and some more bad news. Good news: no cracks in the block. Bad news: crank needs to be replaced. The machine shop is ordering a crank kit for me. Turns out the crank could be turned but it’ll be cheaper for them to order a new one with bearings. So that’s kinda good in the sense that I get a new crank. They haven’t checked the bore sizes yet but the lead machinist is still confident they clean up with a honing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well ladies and gents, it’s offical. She finally runs. Too bad it’s so muddy. I can’t move it cause the rear tire just slips. Might have to get my wife to pull it around to the other side of the garage with the 4Runner.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well ladies and gents, it’s offical. She finally runs. Too bad it’s so muddy. I can’t move it cause the rear tire just slips. Might have to get my wife to pull it around to the other side of the garage with the 4Runner.
put some cardboard in front of the tires to give it some grip or some 2x4's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
put some cardboard in front of the tires to give it some grip or some 2x4's

Don’t know what I didn’t think about that. Might get back there tomorrow and try it. Should be a little dryer anyway.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hahahaha I was going to be smartass and say "well have you tried it in 4x4 but then I noticed this thread was about an f150

lol yeah I thought about not even putting the thread on here because it’s an F150, but when I had my bronco, this site was great, and really most of us love Ford’s in general, not just broncos. And since it’s an F150, there’s still a lot of information here that applies.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not sure if anyone had noticed but when I replaced the fuel pump, I ended up cutting the v belt that runs around the crank, water pump and power steering pump. So anytime I try and run the truck, it’s never for more than about 30 seconds. Well today, I decided lemme stop being lazy and replace it. First I had an idiot moment. I kinda forgot that the belt had to go on the crank pulley as well so the first belt I bought was the right length for just the ps pump and water pump, so of course I started the truck, look under the hood for leaks and freak out a little wondering why the pulleys aren’t turning. Then the light bulb goes off, so back to oreillys for another belt.

Up to this point, I had snaked the belt around the fan clutch, onto the water pump pulley then the ps pump pulley. It was when I went to install the actual correct sized belt that I realized, the fan and shroud, the air injection pump belt(?)(whatever is the at the top passenger side), and the alternator belt just to get the first belt on. So at least for tonight, I hate V-belts. But it’s done.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Not sure if anyone had noticed but when I replaced the fuel pump, I ended up cutting the v belt that runs around the crank, water pump and power steering pump. So anytime I try and run the truck, it’s never for more than about 30 seconds. Well today, I decided lemme stop being lazy and replace it. First I had an idiot moment. I kinda forgot that the belt had to go on the crank pulley as well so the first belt I bought was the right length for just the ps pump and water pump, so of course I started the truck, look under the hood for leaks and freak out a little wondering why the pulleys aren’t turning. Then the light bulb goes off, so back to oreillys for another belt.

Up to this point, I had snaked the belt around the fan clutch, onto the water pump pulley then the ps pump pulley. It was when I went to install the actual correct sized belt that I realized, the fan and shroud, the air injection pump belt(?)(whatever is the at the top passenger side), and the alternator belt just to get the first belt on. So at least for tonight, I hate V-belts. But it’s done.
Why didn't you go for an electric fuel pump upgrade?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Why didn't you go for an electric fuel pump upgrade?

So I might after I get the 351 built and installed but I’m also more of a mechanical guy, not electrical. I have no doubt that an electric water pump is reliable and more efficient than a mechanical water pump. But for one, I’d have to wire it up, plus, there’s always the thought in the back of my mind saying “what if the water pump dies and I don’t no until it’s too late?” They’re also expensive and it’s not worth it on this little stock 302 right now. And they don’t look as good in my eyes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well I found a little more rust to repair. The pinch weld at the bottom of the drivers side door where the door seal sits has two spots that are rusted through. Guess I need to get a little more 16 gauge sheet metal to fix that. Now since I’ve never repaired a pinch weld, is the best to do it to just cut out a section and weld in a single piece of new metal to tie it back together?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts