Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search button skill may be lacking, please forgive me if I've missed something...

1984 Bronco XLT. I have some instrument panel issues to say the least. First and foremost is that none of the instrument illumination lights will come on. I had one spare bulb that I installed into the far left (near speedometer) just in case they all happened to be burned out. It's unlikely, but the cluster was in this condition when I bought the truck and it was cheap to check it. No go. I popped off the cluster power connector and checked the pins with a test light. Key on, headlights on. Bottom row 1-9 (left to right); numbers 1, 8, and 9 were hot. Top row (right to left) 10-18; number 13 is hot. Ran out of daylight.

Where do I go from here? Is there a relay or switch that I can trace back to and check voltage there? From what I have googled, the blue w/red on that connector = instrument lights. Light switch next?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yes, most gauges read correctly. I'll need to address the engine temp which is most likely a sensor issue. Turn signal indicators light up and flash correctly. Hi-beam indicator has a low-voltage constant on, but lights up brightly and correctly when I turn them on. 4x4+E-brake indicators don't light up, I'll pop a fresh bulb in those too. Speedo was good until I changed tire size and fuel gauge is spot on. I just can't see any of them when it's dark!

Like I mentioned above, there are some panel issues to say the least. I'm mostly concerned with getting the gauges illuminated as daylight is becoming more and more scarce.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the wiring diagram! I noticed #5 on the connector was supposed to be hot from fuse #17 (5A). Mine had blown and was labeled instrument lighting. YES! Swapped that out with a fresh one but still didn't notice the instrument lights when I hit the headlights??? I have read that they can be very very dim, and the ceramic dimmer switch on the headlight switch can wear out and fail. That will be my next stop if I notice some dim illumination once it gets dark out.

edit: new bulbs, new fuse, replaced loose wire and the cluster is illuminated. Thanks for the help miesk5

1 - 4 of 4 Posts