Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84 xlt rust and engine repairs.

Well, I got this bronco few weeks ago. Here's the story.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201046

At the begining I wasn't sure if i was doing the right thing, cause this kind of project cosumes a lot of hours and money. My wife's big complain is about the time, cause our kids are 4 and 9 months old and she saids they need quality time. Ok, with that in mind I told her: "U know what? This project will be a period of time while I fix it, cause after that that truck will be our weekend vehicle to go picnic, to go the beach, tow a trailer with bycicles, go karts, quads, go camping, etc." And is true, that's my real plan not just an excuse to be in my shop every free time I got. We make a deal, I can be in my shop every other day, one day for the familly and one day for me. Fair enough. ;)

This time I want a familly fun truck, not like last Bronco flat black with flames, roll bar, half door and stuff like that. I would like to build a bronco like that again but with my kids when they get old enough to enjoy and learn.

Ok, this is my new (to me) Bronco.

Not too bad, floors ok, interiors ok, some rust in the tailgate, fenders, and some others areas. But the fire wall area got a big rust problem and will be the first one to get fix. The engine was in pieces the last owner was trying to fix the heads and gaskets.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This week I spend few hours in my shop, was kind of busy with the hollydays but I'm getting motivated with the results so far. Last Wednesday I went to a ford trucks junkyard, is not easy to find 80-86 trucks with no rust due to our tropical climate and most of the trucks at the JY are not that old. So guess what I find in the JY? Yes!, more rust. Finally I chosse the parts I need with less rust, the good thing is since the parts are rusted the price are like less than $10.

Well, this was the worst area.

Patching begins. (Yes, there's water inside, in the windshield, after few minutes welding the dash was on fire :doh0715: another newbie mistake.

Looking better.

This is the part I get in the JY, it has some rust too, but was better than nothing, Here's after some patching. Next time grinding and try to make it look nice.

Till next time...

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,538 Posts
I was wondering what the status was on this; your welding skills are better than mine, which is non-existent! I should learn how to do body work and welding, since I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it. Anyway, looking good! As a suggestion, since emissions are slim to none there, you might want to drop a 4-barrel intake with a Rochester Q-jet or Edelbrock 1406 (I think that's the Quadrajet clone-correct me if I'm wrong), to where the small primaries will give good MPG while having excellent power when the secondaries open up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering what the status was on this; your welding skills are better than mine, which is non-existent! I should learn how to do body work and welding, since I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it. Anyway, looking good! As a suggestion, since emissions are slim to none there, you might want to drop a 4-barrel intake with a Rochester Q-jet or Edelbrock 1406 (I think that's the Quadrajet clone-correct me if I'm wrong), to where the small primaries will give good MPG while having excellent power when the secondaries open up.
about welding and body work, youtube is a good resource and google. then practice, for me is hobby that I really enjoy. The quadrajets sound interesting, I don't know much (nothing) about it but google will help with that.

so any update on this project?????????????
Actually, this is the update, I forget to mention that today I was off work and got time to do this part:

For tomorrow I'm plannig to finish it and paint it. (hope so)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With hollydays didn't have enough free time to be in my shop in the weekend. This days everybody wants to visit or get together or go christmass shopping or do whatever they can to keep me busy. At least I enjoy christmass shoping cause take sometime to take a look at the craftsman toolboxes and tools at the store.

Finally this afternoon I spent few hours at the shop, didn't have enough time to take many pictures of the process, but here's the update:

Grinding, sanding and preparing for spray some primer and paint.

In place, ready for be install.

Well enough for today, some time this week after work I will continue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting in place, almost spot welding, :haha

some black paint.

Well next time finish the wipers area and start to get rid of few vaccum hoses and electrical cables, like the regulator, and other stuff, I want a clean engine area, with less cable as posible and some MSD.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I was trying to have some work done at the shop, but it was almost imposible cause people keep interrupting me almost all day. First my neighbor came by to visit, (2hrs lost) then lunch time, after my mother in law came to visit and my daughter ask me to go get some groceries cause they want to make somes cookies.

This is the update, not much as I was expecting...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my plan of having a clean engine bay I been taking out few things that at the moment I don't need, I really have no clue exactly what this things do, but 2 are for the AC system and the one in the middle have a line that ends in the gas tank.

then the solenoid is necesarhy but the regulator and the other thing I have to search if I can get rid of those ones too.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
In my plan of having a clean engine bay I been taking out few things that at the moment I don't need, I really have no clue exactly what this things do, but 2 are for the AC system and the one in the middle have a line that ends in the gas tank.

charcoal canister. Keep it.
then the solenoid is necesarhy but the regulator and the other thing I have to search if I can get rid of those ones too.
why is there a barometric pressure sensor and a self test port? i though this was an 84 (Carb).

·
Registered
115 Posts
looks like a good start, less rust than my project but im having to rebuild my engine too

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks pfun for help with that info, I didn't have a clue or a keyword for search about those parts. If I keep the charcoal canister will be somewhere in the chassis (not visible). Probably will do the same with the electric regulator and the BP sensor in case I need to keep them. Oh! and yes is a 84 carb, my mechanical skills are on carbs level yet, for me less cables means less problems, at least for now.

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
while its open and easy, consider changing the cowl to a newer one. i put one on from a newer one and its a direct bolt-on.

the newer ones have "pin holes" instead of long slits for openings. it keeps more gunk out of the cowl.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's been a while since I don't play with my bronco. Apparently I have some ADD issues, cause for the last two weeks I been playing with a scooter I bought that didn't start, work with it and put it back in the road. Is very fun to drive that little thing around, but I already miss my bronco. Hope to have a chance soon to continue with it. Here's a picture of latest toy. (actually that's not mine, but is the same model and color, I'm just too lazy right now to go downstairs to take a pix)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
while its open and easy, consider changing the cowl to a newer one. i put one on from a newer one and its a direct bolt-on.

the newer ones have "pin holes" instead of long slits for openings. it keeps more gunk out of the cowl.
Well! I'm kind of lost in translation, what's the cowl? thanks for the advice though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts