Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Ford ... picked her up on 11/9/11

Only work i have done is add rear-view mirrors.
Change the oil and filter.
Bought a battery.
Replaced burnt light bulbs.
Drained the coolant and put new fluid in.
Filled the brake fluid.

Gas tank has leaks ... was parked for over 3 years. :barf

Started her up, but since I was lazy and didn't drop the tank seems like the fuel filter is now clogged. Starts but can not rev as it will sputter and die.

Towed her home with the tow bar it came with.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

NICE Rig Brother....:rockon

If your BKO is EFI ....EFI = electric fuel injection, usually have electric fuel pumps so the minute you turn the ignition key to RUN/START the fuel pumps prime the system, you can hear it whine for a second, one pump on the frame rail underneath around the drivers seat area has a round canister style filter, the second pump/sending unit is in the tank and fix any leaks there ASAP or you could have serious problems, don't take any chances.

My 86 EFI has forward canister style filter and an additional fuel filter futher back on the frame rail where the transfer case skid plate is...PITA location....lol lol....referred to as a "reservoir" similar to a jar where the bottom unscrews revealing a hockey puck style filter and O ring....the top/cap is pressureized with spring loaded stems to keep the reservoir full so the system won't starv while cornering, up/down hill or extreme Off Road angles....don't know if you have this "reservoir" so take a quick look up inside there...Craftsman "strap" wrench does the trick unscrewing the bottom/bowl...

Point being, changing filters at regular intervals is always a good idea but most EFI fuel filters don't normally "clog" a system unless they have been subjected to snorkling or mudding activites where it fouled the filters etc. etc....however sitting for 3 years if the tank wasn't drained that fuel can get pretty crappy if you attempt to run it thru the system... DON"T....:rofl:

If your BKO is Carburetor.....they're fickle and need constant attention...lol lol... especially if the vehicle hasn't run for 3 years I would say clean and rebuild it ASAP because gaskets are going to fail/leak from lack of use and age .....pay attention to the power valve inside, if it malfunctions you won't be able to sustain fuel to run ....check needle and seat, float level in the bowl, adjust air/fuel mixture for standing and fast idle and don't forget the choke for cold start.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually carbed ... so can you translate to laymans terms??? LOL

I just want to get it running for a couple of miles so I can drive it to the mechanic.

Should i just start with the fuel filter and see if it gets any better?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I would toss a new filter on the engine and see how it runs. chances are if there was fuel in the tank thats 3 years old it has gone bad.

you may also need to rebuild the carb on it.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would get a "clear style fuel filter" and install it after the mechanical fuel pump (if you have that) BUT before the Carburetor to protect it....it will keep out debris and you can see what's going on at any time...

*If your BKO is Carburetor.....they're fickle and need constant attention...lol lol... especially if the vehicle hasn't run for 3 years I would say clean and rebuild it ASAP because gaskets are going to fail/leak from lack of use and age .....pay attention to the power valve inside, if it malfunctions you won't be able to sustain fuel to run ....check needle and seat, float level in the bowl, adjust air/fuel mixture for standing and fast idle and don't forget the choke for cold start.

These are just basic elements of a carburetor so if you don't understand them you need to learn How To, be able to maintain and make adjustments so the engine performans well .......I'm sure there's more then enough info explaining this on the internet, definately a Hot Rodders Club (old school) or possibly even a You Tube where they'll identify items/parts and show you what do....look for either a Holley 600cfm or 650cfm carburetor and see what comes up they're very common.....it does take patience rebuilding them so they work right.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
have carb rebuilt, change out fuel filters, pull tank out, drain fuel, and clean tank. i would also replace the fuel pump. while tank is out and pump is not hooked to the lines blow them out with compressed air. this is a good starting point, then get it running and do the other stuff, tune up fluid changes etc....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed the fuel filter old one was plugged up and runs 10x better ... but when I spray starter fluid around the idle gets better ... guess i need new gaskets.

Also, i need a fuel cleaner hose... what do you all recommend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New tank getting installed today.

Changing spark plugs/wires/rotor/cap/filters.

Can't seem to find 15" tires for the wheels I got.

Anyone selling any?

I'll update soon.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
What CCA battery did you buy, you should be no less then 850CCA and the BKO will thank you everyday!

Post some more pics!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts