Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been working tirelessly to get my Bronco street worthy for California state. This all started because the rebuild was up to par for another state but I unfortunately moved to the worst state for classic cars dated after 1975... I'm very dedicated to the education, labor, and expense of getting this done. Though, I will be getting a full inspection by my trusted mechanic once I've taken it as far as I can to be sure it has his stamp of approval.

THE PROBLEM:
A while back we had the 302 professionally rebuilt with a .30 over bore and the C6 overhauled. The vehicle was running a little rich since we didn't restore some emissions parts (egr and smog pump). Now that I live in California and want proper smog certification I need to replace the intake manifold, carburetor, the EGR system, exhaust manifold, other emissions parts.

SO FAR:
I've obtained a EOM intake manifold, exhaust manifold, 2150 2-barrell carb, egr spacer, egr valve, and smog pump. Before I began this endeavor I located the 1984 for light truck manuals, emissions testing guide, USB for the C6 transmission, but they are a little indirect when discussing vacuum setups...

PROBLEM:
This weekend I'm taking the leap to swap the parts I have and unfortunately won't be able to drive it with my out of state plates until everything is complete. Here is what I'm stuck on.

1 EGR System
While I have an OEM EGR Valve that connects to the spacer I'm not confident in the rest of the setup and want additional material to read before moving forward. My Vaccum diagrams show the EGR from the spacer to a VCV but I know there is more to this entire system I'm unaware of.

2 SMOG PUMP
Im having a hell of a time finding the OEM lines that mount behind the engine. All other parts have been found.

3 AIR INLET
I've restored an air inlet but there are is a heat shroud for the hot air tube and the fresh air pickup that connects to the duct and valve assembally. I am unable to find either of these parts to purchase.

Any help is appreciated. I am dedicated to this project and very patient as to not make any large mistakes.

·
Registered
86 BKO orig-5.0efi swap to 91 5.8efi w/AOD longtube w/2.5in to 3in hiflo cat 3in hp shorty flomaster
94 Posts
Not much help as I don't know much about the egr stuff and California regulations but I love the color on your rig. And your rig in general

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,077 Posts
Hello all,

I've been working tirelessly to get my Bronco street worthy for California state. This all started because the rebuild was up to par for another state but I unfortunately moved to the worst state for classic cars dated after 1975... I'm very dedicated to the education, labor, and expense of getting this done. Though, I will be getting a full inspection by my trusted mechanic once I've taken it as far as I can to be sure it has his stamp of approval.

View attachment 178875

THE PROBLEM:
A while back we had the 302 professionally rebuilt with a .30 over bore and the C6 overhauled. The vehicle was running a little rich since we didn't restore some emissions parts (egr and smog pump). Now that I live in California and want proper smog certification I need to replace the intake manifold, carburetor, the EGR system, exhaust manifold, other emissions parts.

SO FAR:
I've obtained a EOM intake manifold, exhaust manifold, 2150 2-barrell carb, egr spacer, egr valve, and smog pump. Before I began this endeavor I located the 1984 for light truck manuals, emissions testing guide, USB for the C6 transmission, but they are a little indirect when discussing vacuum setups...

PROBLEM:
This weekend I'm taking the leap to swap the parts I have and unfortunately won't be able to drive it with my out of state plates until everything is complete. Here is what I'm stuck on.

1 EGR System
While I have an OEM EGR Valve that connects to the spacer I'm not confident in the rest of the setup and want additional material to read before moving forward. My Vaccum diagrams show the EGR from the spacer to a VCV but I know there is more to this entire system I'm unaware of.

2 SMOG PUMP
Im having a hell of a time finding the OEM lines that mount behind the engine. All other parts have been found.

3 AIR INLET
I've restored an air inlet but there are is a heat shroud for the hot air tube and the fresh air pickup that connects to the duct and valve assembally. I am unable to find either of these parts to purchase.

Any help is appreciated. I am dedicated to this project and very patient as to not make any large mistakes.
Nice bullnose... Can't you avoid any of Cali's ridiculous regulations if you get classic plates?

·
Registered
13 Posts
3 AIR INLET
I used Dorman part #96024 for manifold to air cleaner on my 351W. I have seen a generic kit that includes a piece to clamp onto the exhaust manifold. I couldn’t find a part number for it just now though.

More info here also:

·
Super Moderator
28,219 Posts
Yo Andrew,
For obsolete parts, call Ray @ Contact Us | Obsolete Ford Parts
He knows me.

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their Local yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts

Search: 1985 >Ford > Bronco > Engine Accessories > Air Injection Pump > 00137 8 302 (5.0L), Id E1te
or

Search: 1985 >Ford > Bronco > Engine Accessories > Air Injection Pump > 00216 8 302 (5.0L), Id E1ze

Will look for more this afternoon.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much help as I don't know much about the egr stuff and California regulations but I love the color on your rig. And your rig in general
Nice bullnose... Can't you avoid any of Cali's ridiculous regulations if you get classic plates?
Unfortunately you can get classic plates unless your 1975 or older here. I need to figure out how to pass an exhaust reader test in order to register is this micro managed state. The EGR recycles emissions back into the engine so it's definitely nessesary..

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,938 Posts
I live in CA and have a 1984 Bronco. Fords sold in CA at the time were equipped with feedback carbs/emission systems which barely worked when new let alone 37 years later. The system consists of about 10 miles of vacuum lines 15 miles of wiring and a crude computer controlled carburetor. I couldn't get the truck running with this system so I ripped all that crap out and converted to Dura-spark II and it ran perfect BUT two different smog shops refused to test it without the original system in place.
Since your truck was originally equipped without the feedback system hopefully they might smog it, you might want to find out before you even take it in. You are probably are going to have to take it to a STAR certified smog check place, they scrutinize every square inch of the emission system, CA effort to get rid of these older vehicles.
Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts