Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am about to buy a 1985 bronco in about 2 weeks with a 5.8L. i want to lift it 6 inches but im worried it will use so much gas i wont be able to have much time offroading cuz i live about 1 hour away from the nearest off roading place with is hollister hills...should i be worried? im new to the whole off roading scene. how many gallons of gas does the bronco hold?
thanks

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
depends, 24 or 26 gallon tank, i know my 96 had a 26 galloon tank

i had a 6'' lift w/35'' m/t's and the stock gearing (3:55 to 1) and got about 8mpg in the city (heavy right foot)

there are alot of factors that affect mileage, where the lift affects very little, tire size and the ammount they are inflated contribute. how heavy your right foot is, and the gearing in your truck are the main factors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? wow, i thought it would get way worse. i was always told that the lift effects mpg a lot...i drive with a very heavy foot so ill probably be getting the same. how is it off roading? is it a beast or does the bronco have a lot of problems?

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
search around, there are alot of pros and cons to broncos, as well with every 4x4

your 85 should have a 9'' rear end, which is a very good starting point. the obvious weak point of the bronco is the ttb front axle. while it will stand up to wheeling, it is not ideal. the 6'' lift with a 35'' tire will be its limits. my ttb was stock minus the brakes, and it stood up to my wheeling

the most common thing besides a lift and tires around here, would be to do a sas, or solid axle swap.

search around and get aquatinted with everything around here. and use the search feature, it's your friend. dont be afraid to ask things, just search first. youll probably find your answer, and if not we'll be more than happy to help

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
26? I thought it was 33 or another one.
i have been known to be wrong, and since i havent owned a bronco for a while, you could be right. but i believe mine had a 26 gallon tank

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,631 Posts
Mine has a 32 gal., and I think it's because it has the C6 trans (less MPG). But my Chilton's Ford repair manual (80-87) shows the choices to be 25.0 (standard) or 32 (optional) gal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks so much. what exactly is a solid axel swap and how much would it cost? im tight on money which is why im getting a bronco haha even though i love broncos. and how would i find out how many gallons the tank is? just fill it up when its empty?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah my 90 with the 302 has the 32 gallon. right now im at 13 city. But i drive mine only once a week so it helps out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.