Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree. It could be something simple to something significant. My white smoke/nonrun issue was a sunk carb float. OP’s could be a cranky EFI to blown head gasket.

OP, what does your smoke smell like? Acrid = fuel, sweet = coolant.

You can also pressure test the coolant system and see if you have a leak, especially if you think it’s coolant.
I'll be honest, I've never seen white smoke from a fuel issue, always a darker smoke, but I haven't seen everything. He did say it smells rich, so there could be something there then.
Thank you! I looked for a long time and I paid a little more than I wanted but here we are haha. It runs and drives perfectly but I hate being stuck random places cranking this thing over non stop with my fingers crossed that it will fire. It’s going to be my daily driver in a year ( lease ending) so I have time to work out the bugs.
From what I noticed it comes from both exhausts. I’m going to try to fire it up again this evening and see what it does. Otherwise I’ll be getting a compression test. I’d like to look into the starter or ignition too becuase even when it does fire it’s not fast. I’ve seen other broncos and trucks this year fire pretty quickly. I have to hold the key for a few seconds for it to catch. Or maybe that’s normal?! There’s no one around me that even has a bronco to see what theirs does so I don’t have a whole lot to compare to.
my stroked 302 starts up in a split second, as long as I prime the fuel a peddle pump or two first. If it is coming from both exhausts, then I'd say a coolant issue is now less likely, odds are less likely to have blown both head gaskets only a little. Maybe it is a fuel issue like @packagerjr is suggesting, you did mention it smells rich, and if it is the EFI system with one like you have then it would present in both exhausts.

·
Registered
1985 Bronco 351w EFI
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I agree. It could be something simple to something significant. My white smoke/nonrun issue was a sunk carb float. OP’s could be a cranky EFI to blown head gasket.

OP, what does your smoke smell like? Acrid = fuel, sweet = coolant.

You can also pressure test the coolant system and see if you have a leak, especially if you think it’s coolant.
Let me check tonight on the smell. From what I can remember it smells strongly of gas but now I have something else to look for I’ll be more mindful when I try to get it running tonight.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Let me check tonight on the smell. From what I can remember it smells strongly of gas but now I have something else to look for I’ll be more mindful when I try to get it running tonight.
if you want to pressure test the coolant, get a tubing nipple that fits into the thermostat housing, and about 4-5' of tubing so you don't have to climb over a running motor to check, a 0-30psi gauge and two band clamps, replace the thermostat with the nipple and tube in the gauge. run it till it gets hot then turn it off, it should take some time for the pressure to fall off, it should reach into the 10-12 psi range. leave radiator cap on. That's just how I do it though, not necessarily the only way.

Reactions: Maritz

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you want to pressure test the coolant, get a tubing nipple that fits into the thermostat housing, and about 4-5' of tubing so you don't have to climb over a running motor to check, a 0-30psi gauge and two band clamps, replace the thermostat with the nipple and tube in the gauge. run it till it gets hot then turn it off, it should take some time for the pressure to fall off, it should reach into the 10-12 psi range. leave radiator cap on. That's just how I do it though, not necessarily the only way.
Misspoke, not thermostat housing, but the temp sending unit connection right behind the thermostat.

Reactions: Maritz

·
Registered
1985 Bronco 351w EFI
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alright here’s the cold start. It started up but it kinda lags a bit. The passenger side tailpipe smells strong of gas no sweet smell. The no start issue seems to happen when the engine is hot because it’s been sitting for about 6 hours now but when I drive somewhere it won’t start.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,048 Posts
Thanks for your reply. So it will turn over and it’s not a slow turn over if that makes sense, it just won’t fire. It sounds like it wants to fire like it’s almost there but then nothing. When I initially turn the key, I hear I’m guessing the fuel pump turn on and I wait until the Holley screen turns on to start it. No clicking or anything like that.
I haven’t put the battery on a trickle charger yet, just picked it up yesterday but I’ll definitely try that.
The smoke is white. Yeah I think the efi needs tuned or tweaked somehow to get it running a bit cleaner.
I suggest starting with all the electrical stuff first. Make sure the charging system is working then do a compression check. The smoke is not related to the Sniper.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don’t know how many injectors your system runs, but it sounds like a lazy injector.

·
Registered
1985 Bronco 351w EFI
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don’t know how many injectors your system runs, but it sounds like a lazy injector.
I definitely think I have more than one thing going on. I have a suspicion about the starter now. It has a heat blanket on it that looks new but I’d like to check the wires and see if any are burnt or damaged and maybe re route them away from the exhaust manifold if so. There’s some reason why it will start up cold but once I drive it doesn’t like to start until it cools down again. Could be a million things but I’d like to rule out the easy stuff first hah. As for the gas smell, I think the efi needs tuned or something. I feel bad for my son sitting in the back in a car seat!

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,471 Posts
My 2 cents - slow down and work on one issue at a time. If it is cranking at a decent rate then don't worry about the starter just yet. It really doesn't take much of a crank to start an engine that runs well.

Even if you had a minor head gasket leak I don't think it would make it that hard to start. Let's just put that issue to the side for a bit until we rule out an issue with the carb and if it was a major leak it would be blowing white smoke not just puffing a little vapor as in your video.

Did you find the O2 sensor on your header pipes or y collector? Did you put the header and y pipes on? I'm assuming the sniper MUST have an O2 sensor to work properly. I would call Holley tech and tell them what is going on and see if they can help.

What does the engine have for an intake on it? Just to be clear, this is a 351w that HAD a carb on it but the previous owner put a sniper in its place, correct?

Crank it for a bit and try to start it but don't, then pull a plug - is it wet with gas or not?

Have you checked the inside of the distributor? Is everything clean and shiny or is it crusted over and cruddy? How are the plug wires? Plugs? When is the last time it had a tune up - new cap and rotor, plugs etc.

Is the coil on the distributor or is it a canister style coil mounted to the front of the block?

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,471 Posts
Oh and hot start issues are usually associate with fuel vapor locking. Is the fuel line to the sniper run correctly?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with @biggum. If it cranks at a good speed hot just leave your starter alone. That’s all a starter does and it sounds like yours is doing it adequately.

It’s easy to get sidetracked (first hand knowledge here), but you came for a gas smell, white smoke, and hard hot starts. I’d run the EFI to ground first.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,048 Posts
I'm with Big and Package. One thing ate a time so its easy the track. Don't forget to do a compression test. That'll tell you a lot. As for the Sniper. I have one and it works great. Number one problem they have, if any, are poor grounds during the install. I feel this should be part of your electrical check. As for tuning, goe to Holleys web site and download print the install instructions. Its 75 pages but you can track it all down with that. Plus there's a ton of YouTube videos.. But again, I feel you should track down your other issues first.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
oh and yest, there is a O2 sensor that reads one bank.

·
Registered
1985 Bronco 351w EFI
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My 2 cents - slow down and work on one issue at a time. If it is cranking at a decent rate then don't worry about the starter just yet. It really doesn't take much of a crank to start an engine that runs well.

Even if you had a minor head gasket leak I don't think it would make it that hard to start. Let's just put that issue to the side for a bit until we rule out an issue with the carb and if it was a major leak it would be blowing white smoke not just puffing a little vapor as in your video.

Did you find the O2 sensor on your header pipes or y collector? Did you put the header and y pipes on? I'm assuming the sniper MUST have an O2 sensor to work properly. I would call Holley tech and tell them what is going on and see if they can help.

What does the engine have for an intake on it? Just to be clear, this is a 351w that HAD a carb on it but the previous owner put a sniper in its place, correct?

Crank it for a bit and try to start it but don't, then pull a plug - is it wet with gas or not?

Have you checked the inside of the distributor? Is everything clean and shiny or is it crusted over and cruddy? How are the plug wires? Plugs? When is the last time it had a tune up - new cap and rotor, plugs etc.

Is the coil on the distributor or is it a canister style coil mounted to the front of the block?
Thanks for your input. I didn’t install anything on it, that was all the previous owner and yes it’s a 351w that was carbed previously. I haven’t had a chance to check anything yet (toddler) but I’ll make note of everything you mentioned and just go down the list. It has new headers and exhaust on it plus the sniper that was installed about a year ago from the previous owner. He didn’t drive it much since the install but he said he had a hard time starting it and thought it was the battery but I bought a new battery with higher cca and it still has issues starting when hot. I’ll have to download those manuals from Holley and just go through the system to make sure everything is connected correctly.
I started it yesterday cold (the video I posted) and I didn’t notice any smoke then but the passenger side exhaust smells like straight gas. Like I said I’ll have to take note of the things you mentioned and when I get a few minutes I’ll check all of that stuff and write back. Thanks again.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts