Got the interior all put back together.
The only thing left to do is the door panels. Funny, since this entire project was about getting those painted, and they're still the last part.
The door panels I got from JBG were for "Power Windows / Power Locks", but all they did was put suggestion holes for them. They don't fit the switches at all (especially not the double wide switch for the windows on the driver's side). So, that's going to be a bit more work to properly cut those to fit. Plus, I want to look into moving over the felt lining and chrome trim from my current doors.
Also, I taped off the weather stripping (since it's put on with some major staples that would have been a bear to remove), and my edging wasn't the best. I need to go back with a brush and clean it up.
But, overall, the door panels turned out pretty nice.
Handles in place
These are the sun rotted b-pillars. They were a bit crumbly.
The new cleaned up ones next to the old ones.
The new B-pillar's in place.
The color matching is significantly closer than the Buckskin I used before.
I noticed I missed some of the edging on the back panels. The "shine" is actually sun-bleached, and not a reflection.
I didn't have my brother's sprayer, so I just applied it with a paper towel. It worked really well.
This is also something else I want to clean up. There is an amp mounted here that a previous owner installed. However, there's a dozen or two screw holes that I have no idea why they're there (the amp was actually mounted in the upper left). Not sure what was here before, but I'd like to fill them.
Back panel in place.
Does anyone know what this little piece is for? It looks like a delete of some kind, but I have no idea:
The body also does not come pre-drilled, and the holes for the trim are done at the factory with self tapping screws. Someone on the assembly line must've been in a hurry for lunch.
Another item for my "to do" list. Looks like, at some point, an animal got in and made a nest of the insulation. I pulled a big shredded wad of it out from behind the speaker. Now a patch is missing.
The only real damage to the interior. Fortunately, once in place, and secure, this is a non-issue.
I ordered new interior pins for this job. I had no idea how many I was going to need, so I ordered the 50 pack. For $6.99 shipped, it was a great deal. They were also just as good, if not better, than the originals. Highly recommend them!
The cleaned up rear arm rests. Not QUITE as clean as I'd like them, but way better than they were.
Put the light back in place:
At some point, if I run out of projects, I might re-chrome it. :toothless
Next the ash trays. I don't use them, but it's certainly better than leaving an empty hole. I tried to think of something I could put here instead. Maybe some tweeter speakers or something?
The previous speakers were some 6x9s and a P.O. had made some custom mounting plates out of thin wood and carpet, and mounted them with wood screws. I wanted to get more of a stock look, so I pulled these out of my '81 and installed them. Interestingly, when I got my '81, there were just holes in the back, so I found these covers in a junk yard about 14 years go. They were originally tan before I painted them black.
I liked the way the black off-set the interior, so I left them black. These are the stock-sized 6x8" speakers.
Buttoning it up with the trim around the shell.
I was really pleased how well the color matched the rest of the interior. The headliner is now about the only thing that doesn't truly match.
Both sides left a little bit of a gap. I'm wondering if that's because they're out of an '87 - 91 Bronco. It wasn't bad enough to concern me.
Now I need to clean these up!
And fill the old screw holes for the previous speakers.
The P.O.'s amp cover can be seen here (same material/style as the rear speakers were). I'm trying to think of a different cover. The amp is only about 1/3 of the space behind it, so it'd be nice to fashion something up that both covers it, and maybe adds another storage pocket or something. But, for now, I'll just reuse this and keep the amp out of sight.
Next will be finishing up the doors. And then a deep carpet cleaning!