Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've recently added an 85 F150 regular cab 2wd to the stable. I want to lift it a bit so I can put 31" tires on it.

I'm trying to decide between a 2" or 4".

http://www.roughcountry.com/Ford_80-96_2wdF150_2in.htm
http://www.roughcountry.com/Ford_80-96_2wdF150_4in.htm

This is bascially going to be my weekend vehicle for pulling trailers and hauling off junk.
For thirty ones I would go for the 2" lift if you plan on hauling things the 4" would be a bit to high.
whats the point dont waste your money if its onlt 2wd, sell it and get a 4wd .
I agree with this as well your less likely to get stuck while loading your trailer in a iffy spot or soft soil. Also it will fit 31's stock.:chili:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'd rather have a 4wd, but the price was nice with a rebuilt 302FI. Originally I just wanted the engine to put in my Bronco but I've since run across a rebuilt 351W.

I've got the Bronco to get me anywhere the F150 won't go.

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the 2".

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
whats the point dont waste your money if its onlt 2wd, sell it and get a 4wd .
So most prerunners are wastes of money. :doh0715:

Long travel and prerun it.
:stupid

A locker in the rear, selectable or automatic would make that truck great. About 75% of the time when I go offroading, I just lock the front hubs on the bronco but never actually use 4wd... the detroit in the rear of my truck expanded my capabilities ten fold.

4" is too much to retain usefullness as a work truck IMO.
4" and 31's would look funny anyhow.
Agreed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So most prerunners are wastes of money.
ya i would say that
Yep:red x

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A stock height 4x2 will fit 31's no problem so long as the front coils aren't worn out. With new stock coils there should be 3 ish inches bewteen the top of a 31 and the bottom of the fenderwell.

And $90 for front coils to fit 31's beats the heck out of spending more money, time, and effort on a lift.

Justin

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went out today and got some 31's installed. The lift came in also, so maybe I'll get to work on it this weekend.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Which lift kit did you go with, the 2"? Also please ignore the comments of those individuals bashing on lifting 2wd trucks, as they say ignorance is bliss and I hate to say this but some folks here can win a world championship in that area. Post pics of the progress when you get around to installing.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
ya i would say that
Your opinion is retarded, and therefore null.

I could walk around you in any terrain with a locked rear and you having open differentials on 35's.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Your opinion is retarded, and therefore null.

I could walk around you in any terrain with a locked rear and you having open differentials on 35's.

Well if we're going to get into this I will stand up with first hand experience in both arenas. Open 4wd>locked 2wd.

Having 800lbs of weight over those front tires makes a HELL of a difference.

In my red truck, for a personal test I went down a trail in 2wd with a spool and drove until I got stuck, popped it in 4wd and drove back to where I started from.

Put the truck in front wheel drive open and drove until I got stuck. Guess what, i made it ALOT further.

Now throw in one extra wheel out back giving me some more "go" and I guarantee you the truck in 4wd open would have handed it's ass to itself as a locked 4x2.

Justin

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeez......This is turning into one of those threads like "which oil is best".

When my son goes on to college, I will reclaim the Bronco and that mother is getting a 6" lift.

I went with the 2" for the F150. All of the shocks on this truck were shot and the front coils were sagging. With what I would have spent on coils and shocks, I was real close to the 2" kit, so there ya go. The extra 2" will help level out the tongue on my trailer.

We got about 4" of snow last night. That isn't much for many of you, but in the Memphrica area, that is basically an apocalyptic situation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts