Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so i just put a new k&n air filter for my 85 bronco fullsize 5.8l windsor with a 4bbl carburator. the intake tube that runs from the filter to the front by radiator is old and dirty, cracked, ripped. would the truck breath better without the tube? or should i buy a new one for it? I feel it would get more air, clean aire more direct without the tube, old filter was the original one from 85, it was sure was dirty lol

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Are you talking about the accordion-like tube?

I think the main benefit to having that tube is the warm air inlet that comes up from the exhaust manifold. When the engine is cold, especially in the winter, the engine pulls air from down around the exhaust manifolds (instead of from up by the grill) to feed the engine toasty warm air so it doesn't stumble when it's ice cold out. Then, when the engine's warmed up, it switches to pulling air from up by the grill to give it cool, fresh air.

If you want that setup re-instated, I'd recommend replacing the tubing.

But other than that, many (including myself) just drive around with an open air element and have ditched the tube.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the accordion-like tube?

I think the main benefit to having that tube is the warm air inlet that comes up from the exhaust manifold. When the engine is cold, especially in the winter, the engine pulls air from down around the exhaust manifolds (instead of from up by the grill) to feed the engine toasty warm air so it doesn't stumble when it's ice cold out. Then, when the engine's warmed up, it switches to pulling air from up by the grill to give it cool, fresh air.

If you want that setup re-instated, I'd recommend replacing the tubing.

But other than that, many (including myself) just drive around with an open air element and have ditched the tube.
it's the tube that comes from where the filter element goes to the grille. preety much the tube from the grille to the hole for where the filter goes, mine is all ripped up and tied zip tired togehter and looks raggedy, does it make any difference taking it off? i feel it would breath easier and still pull air down from the bottom when its cold out like you said

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
does it make any difference taking it off?
Yes.

It will be sucking hot air from under the hood instead of cool dens air from outside. I would rebuild it out of a more sturdy material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts