Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:whiteflag Let me start by saying that I have not done any searching on this, whatsoever. I'm at work, and it's not reasonable for me to invest the time here to search for information on this. I am going to go look at an 85, 5.0 with an overdrive automatic (i'm guessing AOD) right after work, so I don't have the option to search at home. :whiteflag

That being said. Any information or heads-up anybody can provide would be really appreciated. It's going for 1200. It' has a 3 inch body lift on 35 inch tires. Carb'd 5.0 with an e303 cam (puke on that cam, not a truck cam, anyway) some exhaust work. He says the transmission was rebuilt/replaced (i don't remember which) sometime last year.

I've already got one with a c6 behind a 351, and it's great. But I don't know if these AODs (or whatever it is) are timebombs or something. Is this something I should stay away from? Anything specific I should look out for? I'll have some time to look the truck over, but I'd like to come to look at it as prepared as possible.

So for anybody who can forgive me for not searching, I appreciate any info you can provide! :thumbup

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have an 86 with an AOD and it works fine. Only thing I've heard about them really is they aren't designed to be heavy duty in stock form. You can built them up but money is probably better spent replacing it if you need something more. That being said though again my AOD has worked fine for me behind the 302 in my 86.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 86 with an AOD and it works fine. Only thing I've heard about them really is they aren't designed to be heavy duty in stock form. You can built them up but money is probably better spent replacing it if you need something more. That being said though again my AOD has worked fine for me behind the 302 in my 86.

Thanks for the reply :thumbup

Does anybody know if failure, from something like towing, is from heat, or because it just isn't stout enough?

I found it was supposed to have been replaced last year. So if it doesn't have a kickass trans cooler on it now, and I buy the truck, I'll put a kickass one on it. But if I want to tow with it later, is keeping the heat down going to do the trick? Or is that transmission a time-bomb if you want to pull stuff around.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
A bronco isn't an ideal tow rig if that is what you are buying it for. Particularly not one with a 302 and AOD. It'll do it but it won't like it if you do it too often or do long hauls of heavy stuff (read: start saving to replace the tranny and/or engine). Regardless of whether your engine and tranny will take it keep in mind the shorter your wheel base the less safe towing stuff is. Doesn't mean you can't, just means you need to be more careful and know the limits of your truck (power-wise as well as maneuverability).

Edit: Oh and throw an inline filter in the mix when you install the tranny cooler.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Edit: Oh and throw an inline filter in the mix when you install the tranny cooler.
YES !

Mine had death signs at 170,000 miles. Slapped on a remote filter ($30.00) and a B&M Supercooler and BINGO ! problems gone forever.

Now I have 280,000 original miles on my 86's AOD.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
I decided not to buy this one. But it's good to know that if you take the proper steps the AOD can do the job. I understand there are no guarantees, but that's the case with any trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts