Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Bronco newbie, and I think my transfer case just broke. It went "boom", and then "grind grind". But I can't find an ID badge anywhere on the transfer case that says what it is. What came stock in a 1985 full size Bronco with an automatic transmission? Also, how much do you think it would cost to get it fixed?

I just got this thing two days ago... :banghead

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Dude that blows.......Maybe you'll get lucky and you just popped a hub. If you've got a digi cam post a pic of the t-case and somebody on here will id. IIRC there about 2-3 different ones possible.....
There are instructions in the suggestions and site help forum on posting pics...
And don't forget to introduce yourself in the indtroductions section when ya get time.....Fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
I really don't know....I've heard of them flying off and just grinding when they go. Jack up the frontend and spin the wheels and see if it grinds(use jack stands please) if it don't then it ain't your hubs....T-case would not be cheap to rebuild, but you could find a good one at salvage cheap....What were you doing when this happened???? You gotta fess up with this story--fog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I just got this thing like Tuesday evening... and I had one of friends come over to look at it... we started it up took off around the yard everything was fine untill the first time I really got on the gas... it made a loud boom, and then a bunch of grinding.

Later we tried it again and it worked fine with the front hubs unlocked and in 2H... but with the hubs locked and in 4L it made grinding noises from the rear axle.... that's about it

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
More than likely, you either have a New Process 208 or a Borg-Warner 13-45. Here's a couple of pics and descriptions of each:
NP208F:

The NP208 has smooth metal, the B-W cases have lots of little fins in the case. The NP's also have the small red label.

it's usually cheaper to replace a busted t-case with one from a salvage yard, that you can get for about $200, than to repair/rebuild them. Just be sure you have the right linkage.

B-W13-56 (similar to 13-45 case):

·
Registered
77 Posts
check the transfer case fluid level and see if there is any type of filings. The 4lo shift fork maybe causing this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts