Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm working on a 86 Bronco XLT. It's mainly just been sitting for a while as it belonged to my uncle and when he died my grandfather got it and he doesn't drive it much. So when I started going off-roading in my 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 2wd, they (my grandparents) decided that since the Colorado is leased, a 2wd, and my daily driver/work truck I should just take the Bronco out as long as I was willing to take over all maintenance for it, and so here I am.

The main problem I had when I got it was the brakes would go to the floor, which I fixed by bleeding the brakes and replaced the front disc pads.
I also blew out a shock when I took it out for the first time for its "trial run".

It seems to have oil on everything too.

My tech question is mainly what's the best way to determine what the Bronco has (in terms of diff types and ratios, etc)? I know it's got a 302 V8 EFI and probably a locking rear differential as it leaves two tire trails whenever I slam the brakes. I know I can probably get it from a Ford dealer but A) usually by the time I get out of work most places are closed and B) Not really sure if I want to go by a Ford dealer while in my Colorado. I'll admit I am more of a Chevy than Ford type of guy, but right now I consider the Bronco my off-road training vehicle, til I somehow manage to kill it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
First off.....when you stomp on the brakes you should be making two tire tracks/skids.....but that dont mean you have a Trac-Loc rear.....it only means that your rear brakes will lock up.

All the info your looking for will be found on the info sticker in the door jam, or look on the diff cover for a tag. There should be ID tags on the transfer case, and the tranny also. I am sure someone here will help you out with decoding them if you cant.

I also recommend getting a Haynes manual or a Ford service CD ASAP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy has one of those tech manuals. It's pretty well used. He's also got a '86 Bronco, but it's an Eddie Bauer edition with a 351w. He's still working on that one. One of his front hubs is crapped out, and the engine isn't getting any spark at the plugs.

My Bronco is also pretty well used. A lot of stickers and stuff are faded, but I'll crawl under there probably tomorrow and see if I can get some numbers. But I'm pretty sure from all the tech pages I've been reading that it has a Ford 9 inch rear end and a Dana 44 front.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
Contact (Steve83) on this site he's the GURU of Bronco"s just do member list search and find him, then email him or post a thread for the category.

Good Luck ~

:enforce might not want to mention the "Chevy" thing though, ya know!

lol lol

·
Southeast Utah Native
919 Posts
Ranger said:
So when I started going off-roading in my 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 2wd,.
I'd like to see a photo of this vehicle, the last time I looked at Chevy's the Z71 package was their version of the off road suspension and only came on 4x4's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the Silverados and Avalanches, it's still (so far, to the best of my knowledge) 4x4-only, but on the Colorados, Chevy decided to create a 2wd version that had the torsion bars up front, heavy duty gas shocks, locking rear differential (Eaton limited slip), some other crap I don't remember, but no skid plate. You can tell the difference between the two by the sticker on the bed- the 4x4s say "Z71 4x4" and 4x2s just say "Z71".

I got some pics on my comp. I'm on another message board for the Colorado, called www.coloradofans.com (my forum name there is also Ranger).

And oh yeah, one other issue- the muffler fell off the Bronco a little while ago so there's nothing past the catalytic converter. Sounds real nice thought. *cranking sounds, then BOOM*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Managed to crawl under there and check out the machinery. On the transfer case it says "Borg Warner" and under it is "1345039908" (forgot where the spaces are, was trying to get a pic with my cell but it wouldn't show up so I just punched it by keypad).

At the end of the main drive shaft, it says "spicer" on the joint and the rear axle has "Ford" and "CFD" on it.

Couldn't really see anything on the transmission to identify it at first look. Probably gonna need to run a degreaser on the entire underside since there's a lot of oil on everything.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,006 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Go up to the tranny sticky at the top of this section and look for details to see what you could have.

Your important sticker is on the door jam. See if that is still readable.

Adrianspeeder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the door sticker.

Did a little lookup on some of the codes, and apparently it has 4.11 gears non-posi.

·
Banned
11,496 Posts
Braking performance has nothing to do with the type of differential, and "Positraction" is a GM proprietary name for a limited slip diff. Ford uses the Eaton TracLock.

19 is 3.55 open diff, probably an 8.8", but it could be a 9". Are there bolt heads visible on the back of the rear axle cover, or are there nuts & studs visible around the front?

Trans T is an AOD, IIRC.

That's the first truck I've seen with 6" rims, and the first Bronco I've seen with such a low GVWR. All the others have E in the 4th VIN digit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well to quote a buddy, "it is what it is". I'll take some more pics of the underside. I'm a little more mechanically inclined (in that once I see how something works I can pretty much figure out the mechanics of it) but a little clueless about certain automotive matters.

Right now the rims have 265/75r15. I have a 235/75r15 spare from my Colorado and I can't really imagine the Bronco would look good with 235s. Gonna find a wheel/tire package, probably 15x10 rims and 33x12.5 tires to replace the current ones.

I must've been looking at the wrong code sheet, cause according to one I found on another Bronco site, axle code 19 is a Ford 4.11 diff.

Edit- Here's the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.