Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hydro locked my 302 and i want to build a new one. But if im going to build one i want to put a small cam and a new intake and headers. But i keep hearing that if i do this i have to goto carb or mass air flow. And carb sounds cheaper. i like the holly truck avenger. But what do I have to change and will my trans work with a carb. Please help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
On the 302 SEFI cars we run headers as a direct bolt-on upgrade, also stock HO parts, ported non-HO parts, ported HO parts, Mustang and Explorer cams - in any combination imaginable, an ECM swap is rarely required. Now if you gonna run some massive cam then yes, you'll need to do something, however just keep in mind that MPFI is generally a superior system to carbs, more consistent, and unlike a non-offroad carb will not die on you or try to flood your engine when you're at some funky "off-camber" angles.

As for the tranny - a C6 only needs a vacuum line ran from a manifold vacuum source to its modulator, having a kickdown is nice but not entirely necessary. An AOD tranny don't need no vacuum line, but it will need a throttle-valve cable and bracketry, or it will die a quick but painful death. IIRC Holley have brackets for both C6 kickdown, and AOD TV-cable.

·
Registered
777 Posts
yeah, definitely better to go with the carb. You will love what you get with the carb. Do you have an AOD? You will have to go with the adapter for the TV cable.

Make sure you sell your EFI stuff on this board. Strangely enough, lots of guys want the EFI stuff to make more power, work better when wheeling, and to get better fuel economy and better driveability.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im also looking at converting to mass air flow.
Do you drive it on road? Looks like you live in Houston, so if you do be prepared for it to not pass inspection (legally) if you convert it to carb.

·
Registered
600 Posts
being thats its an 88 he wont have to have emissions. I dont believe

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I tossed my carb junk up forsale, and spent like a year researching, gathering parts and actually swapping in Mass air SEFI on my 400 ford. I am so happy I did, I will never run a carb again if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Keep your EFI. Add the cam and headers and try it out, you'll really be suprised with the increase. Again, try it out first before you swap out the entire fuel system... Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep hearing if i add a cam and other stuff the speed density will freak out and make my truck run like carp. So i think for right now cause it is my daily truck i will just build a stock 302 with flat top pistons and headers. I will re-use my stock stuff and maybe in a year when i graduate i can do that diesel conversion i realy want to do. And it's an 86 not an 88. And in Texas i have emissions for i think another 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What heads do you have on that thing? You want E7s or GT40s - both OEM Ford heads, both used in MPFI applications - swap heads, swap injectors and ECM (possibly a harness) to match, done! If you ain't got some fairly decent heads on that block, good cam and exhaust are pretty worthless.

·
Registered
777 Posts
What heads do you have on that thing? You want E7s or GT40s - both OEM Ford heads, both used in MPFI applications - swap heads, swap injectors and ECM (possibly a harness) to match, done! If you ain't got some fairly decent heads on that block, good cam and exhaust are pretty worthless.
X2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know what kind of heads i have. They are stock. Im have a new motor built for it with flat top pistons and a mild cam. I hope it works with the stock heads and the computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts