Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen very many 3/4 tons equipped with a 302?

As you all know, in 1986 the 302 received Fuel Injection, while the 300 and 351 remained carbed.

I have been offered a very nice 1986 Ford F-250 4x4 with a Fuel Injected 302, and AOD trans., and I'm just trying to verify the originality of it.

The owner swears it is 100% original, and that his brother owned one similarly equipped a few years back.

I know that 3/4 tons were equipped with 300 Inline sixes, 351, 460 and Diesel, but never have I seen one with a 302.

Anyone?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I have no idea if it was common for that truck to have an EFI 302 or not, but even if it wasn't common it very well could have been a special order from the factory.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was one of those things Ford just "did" for a little while.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I bet it's original. My Bronco is not supposed to have a manual T-case and the Eddie Bauer interior stock, but it does...

Ford was all about special orders.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
my old boss had an 89 F250 with a 302

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
yup there was an 87-91 f-250 in the junk yard here with a 302. Didn't some 85's get fuel injection?

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup there was an 87-91 f-250 in the junk yard here with a 302. Didn't some 85's get fuel injection?
IIRC there were very few, but some 302's had FI in late '85 models, and all of '86 models.

Thanks for all of the clarification guys. Just seemed out of place to me for some reason since I'd never seen one, but at the same time, like I said before it doesn't surprise me. Ford had alot of that going on back then.

Kind of like that TTB F350 that was on Ebay a while back.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whatcha gonna trade for it?
The Dodge.

I fixed the brake line on the Dodge so it's driving great again.

The 4x4 is still inop, and it needs a wheel cylinder in the rear. It's running great but it is using oil. It's fully loaded and everything works in it, with 121k miles. It needs a TV Cable adjustment as well as a line pressure adjustment.

I'll be keeping the CD Player that's in it.

The F250 has an excellent body, but it's painted in Rust-oleum. It's an XL interior with power nothing. Manual T-Case and hubs, 124k miles on it. 302/AOD. Runs and drives excellent. Regular cab with a longbed.

I don't know for sure that I'm going to trade yet, I'm still looking at some other offers, etc.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LD F250's (6400lb GVW IIRC) got 302s. A boss of mine had a 6400lb F250 and I had a 6100lb F150. Only thing that 3/4 ton had going for it over my 1/2 ton was a full float axle.

and as for the 1 ton TTB's, that was 1980-85.5.

Justin

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I bet it's original. My Bronco is not supposed to have a manual T-case and the Eddie Bauer interior stock, but it does...

Yeah, that's for sure. The original owner of my 92 EB got it with 3.08 gears and 29" tires, the tow package MINUS the transmission cooler, and the rear windows were not factory tinted... :wacko

The guy was definitely a douche. I swapped out the axles for ones that had 3.55's for my 31's, and put a transmission cooler on... frickin gonad could have saved me a lot of trouble

·
Be jealous of my
923 Posts

Thats how mine was too. Mine also came with the amenity's the leather EB's had, but it's cloth.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I got an 86 with 302 and 4spd trans. Check the vin in LMC. I did the grunt work for ya. Just run the numbers...

No need to thank me...:goodfinge

Attachments

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LD F250's (6400lb GVW IIRC) got 302s. A boss of mine had a 6400lb F250 and I had a 6100lb F150. Only thing that 3/4 ton had going for it over my 1/2 ton was a full float axle.

and as for the 1 ton TTB's, that was 1980-85.5.

Justin
Not strictly.

On Ebay less than 3 months ago we found either a '96 or '97 F350 with a TTB. It was all original.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
go with a t-18 4 spd. granny low. who needs a sycro first gear anyway....

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't like how the aod shifts. Its weak and doesn't even compare to the e4od.
But it's a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild/replace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts