Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a potential rebuild of the AOD in my FSB (302 V-8) and need some opinions. I have two options available right now. The Bronco is my DD and so I can't have it out-of-service for too long. A while back, I had bought a used 302 and AOD out of an '86 Cougar (only about 85K miles on them) because I needed the 302 block for my '83 Mustang (cracks in #5 cylinder :( ). But it meant a lot of good spare parts for my Bronco, as well. I don't have a lot of cash to spare right now, so here's my dilemma:

1. Put the used Cougar AOD straight into the Bronco. It's been sitting for a while, but this would obviously be the best low-cost solution, since I wouldn't need to do anything with a rebuild. At most, maybe just a fluid change? I like this option because it's the quickest and cheapest. However, this could potentially be a short-term solution, since there's a lot of miles on that AOD (even if it is less than half of what's on the AOD I already have). I could even put in one of the constant-pressure valve bodies that I've been wanting to do, along with a remote filter set-up, before/while I get the swap done.

2. Take the Cougar AOD and get it rebuilt, then just swap it out for the old one. I like this option because I don't have to take the Bronco out of service for long, but I'd have to wait a couple of months before I'd have the money for this.

3. Do a full swap for a T-18 or np435. I love this option because I'd rather drive a stick anyway, I'd already be spending some dough-re-mi to do a good long-term solution, but it could cost more and take more time because more stuff would be involved for me with the swap, and I'd still be waiting a few months before I'd have the money I need.

Opinions, please?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts