1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
no way to tell from those pics. Best way to tell is measure across the intake to tell whether its 302 or 351. the 351 is like 11'' and the 302 is around 8'' i think.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Hard to tell from the pictures what size the engine is but it sure is a super clean Bronco in great condition.........you might be able to find out by checking the "firing order" for 302 vs 351 in the Haynes Manual....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
From the looks of it, a 351 for sure.

On a 302 the T-stat housing sits almost behind the timing cover. On a 351 there is space between the housing and the cover.

In the 4th pic I see no timing cover under the housing at all peeking behind that hose. Seems it's almost definitely a 351. I'd be very surprised if it isnt'.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Known to be a Crate 351 But the talk with the dad of the PO that it was a Cleveland but according to what I see in pictures and the Haynes it is a 351W motor.
Has 85,000 original miles, motor was replaced when it blew a water hose, overheated and started knocking.
Crawling under to see what else he did to the truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires are 32x11.50
Carb is a new Holley ? CFM
Ignition is Stock but not being a Ford Person I am going to defer that to a local expert.
Still finding things like the original window sticker that says it was born with the 351W.
Now need to find out what transfer case he put in and trans since that is all NEW 20K ago.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
count the valve cover bolts. 6 = windsor, 8 = 351c/m line of engines

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
count the valve cover bolts. 6 = windsor, 8 = 351c/m line of engines
8 bolts on the Valve Cover.
No WHAT? I have a call into the PO to get the paperwork on what he bought and according to dad paid a BUNCH for.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Here's one way identify between 351m and 351c.
On a 351m there is a ridge/fin type deal cast into the block on the RHS of the distributor and running between the timing cover and intake manifold. No ridge = Cleveland.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's one way identify between 351m and 351c.
On a 351m there is a ridge/fin type deal cast into the block on the RHS of the distributor and running between the timing cover and intake manifold. No ridge = Cleveland.
Will look in PERSON as soon as I get back up to SC. All answers have come from a helper at my shop looking for me. I should be back tonight.
See I THOUGHT I counted 6 in a picture but he said 8 so another WTH factor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The REAL answers from a Ford Dealer and Ford Engine person.
I came back early from Florida and took the truck to them ASAP.
The documents I expect in the mail SOMEDAY should match what they told me.
1. Engine, 351W HO
2. Trans and Transfer case ARE rebuilt
3. DANA Front a Rear Pumpkins Ratio unknown as of now.
4. Carburetor is a Holly 750 CFM
Everything else is NORMAL for a 1986 XLT
So now I am happy, will change out the Flow masters since this thing has a VERY expensive Stereo system that sounds GREAT when you can HEAR IT.
Thinking of putting Super Traps on the tips to quit it down a little.
Thanks for all your help and input.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
8 bolts on the Valve Cover.
No WHAT? I have a call into the PO to get the paperwork on what he bought and according to dad paid a BUNCH for.
If you have 8 bolts in the valve covers you do not have a 351ho.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As stated previously

8 bolt valve covers are Cleveland
6 Bolt valve covers are Windsor
Thermostat Housing in the block is Cleveland
Thermostat Housing on the intake manifold is Windsor
and

Bottom of intake manifold at the same level as the distributor adjustment bolt is a 302 Windsor

Bottom of intake sitting on a cast ridge behind and slightly higher than the distributor adjustment bolt is a 351 Windsor (i.e. taller deck height)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have 8 bolts in the valve covers you do not have a 351ho.
I did not count helper did, THERE ARE 6
As I said I am 100% new to this set-up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As stated previously

8 bolt valve covers are Cleveland
6 Bolt valve covers are Windsor
Thermostat Housing in the block is Cleveland
Thermostat Housing on the intake manifold is Windsor
and

Bottom of intake manifold at the same level as the distributor adjustment bolt is a 302 Windsor

Bottom of intake sitting on a cast ridge behind and slightly higher than the distributor adjustment bolt is a 351 Windsor (i.e. taller deck height)

I am 100% sure it is a 351W HO. Told by the Ford Dealer and they guys that race these motors, since he wanted yo buy this one and give me another, NO WAY.
I am going to look at all this in the AM for my own knowledge. :beer

1 - 20 of 27 Posts