Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically the truck won't crank, after sucking some water into the engine and being stuck in some water some 3 odd hours with water abouthalfway up the 33inch tires. At the time of sucking the water in, the engine just shut off gently as if i pulled the key out. Everytime you would turn the ignition the starter would just click making a budging sound as if it were unable to turn the flexplate. Now after buying a new starter making sure the battery was good bypassing the solenoid and making sure all the wires and grounds were good I still have the same problem. The starter is not the problem it is just unable to turn to the engine while all the spark plugs are removed. Yet if you remove the starter the flexplate is turnable by hand with the help of a screw driver in only one direction. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your truck is water logged , how long has it been sitting, its good that it died,
shut down in a spongy? manner. You dont want an abrupt clunk bang.
Now it probably just needs to dry out.
Have you dumped the oil, to see if its contaminated ?
Have you removed the distributor cap so it dries out ?
Have you removed all the plugs and labeled all the wires for easy
re-installation ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Drain the oil, you can tell if there's water in the block and/or you really messed up and have gray oil (a lot of water, engine needs to be rebuilt).

Can you turn the motor all the way around via the harmonic balancer bolt? (Remove plugs to make it easier to rotate the engine)

If the motor rotates, have you tried to check the new starter to make sure it's working properly (AutoZone can check it out for free).

More than likely you didn't get a lot of water in the motor (I've poured a 12 oz glass of water straight through a carb while at 45000 RPM and the motor never died or sputtered). What probably happened was you got water in the distributor via the vent hole in the cap (did that more than once in my Jeep). Pull the cap off the dissy and see if it's rusty looking, if so you can buff the contacts with sandpaper or buy new cap & rotor.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,493 Posts
basically the truck won't crank, after sucking some water into the engine The starter is not the problem it is just unable to turn to the engine while all the spark plugs are removed. Yet if you remove the starter the flexplate is turnable by hand with the help of a screw driver in only one direction. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds to me like you might have some bent connecting rods. Water does not compress and acts like a brick wall if it fills the cylinders. You've removed the plugs so try turning it over by the harmonic balancer. Its a 15/16 socket. If its only turning one way then it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it has had allot of time to dry (about a month) also when i firsted sucked the water in it shut down normally no noise no drama just right off. The airfilter was absolutly soaked dripping water with a little puddle in the bottom of the box. And yes i am going to go drain the oil (have a look at it). and try turning it by the harmonic balancer all the way round and in both directions. Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
so it happened a month ago and you never got it running?

if thats the case you have seized the rings to the cycinders. good luck with that one....

·
Registered
258 Posts
If he can turn the motor via the harmonic balancer then the engine is not seized.

You might be able to look in the cylinder s when the plugs are off (if you use a light and a mirror) and see if you see and signs of rust on the cylinder walls. I've heard you can put a little bit (i mean very little) of transmission fluid in the cylinders to help prevent seizing/rusting. It will help lubricate the walls and hopefully reduces the scaring potential.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts