Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco 302 and 1996 Bronco 351
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bronco‘s been sitting for the last couple days. Temp has reached freezing on both of those nights. Today it won’t start. You can hear what it does in this video. The clicking is coming from what sounds like the solenoid. I checked the voltage and it is right about 12v. Dome light is dim. Could letting it sit a couple days with freezing temperatures at night drain the battery enough to not allow it to start? PS: Yes I tried to start it in neutral - no luck.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Clicking usually means you have enough voltage, but not enough amperage.
Probably a bad battery. Can you throw a charger on it overnight?
The cold will also kill a wounded battery faster.
If you're getting clicking it isn't a problem with a neutral/park safety switch. It means you're getting power to the selenoid, but not enough to turn it over (the motor).
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 Bronco 302 and 1996 Bronco 351
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I put a fast charger on it but for some reason it stopped at 72%. I don’t know if that’s by design or what. Anyway, I then started it and it fired right up. I ran it for a while and drove it for a while to hopefully recharge the battery the rest of the way. With the vehicle off at seems like it’s right about 13 V now. I will check it in the morning and see what’s up. I’m keeping it in the garage so it doesn’t get too cold. Please let me know if you have any other ideas

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The good news is you've pretty much confirmed it's the battery. A auto parts store will load test it for free.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
sounds like a dead cell then. yeah, the cold'll do that to ya. At least it's not too bad, how old is the battery?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts