Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1988 5.8L Canister Purge Solenoid Valve

38K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  reptillikus 
#1 ·
On my 1988 5.8L the charcoal canister in the front has a hose going to the gas tank, and a second hose that goes where? Mine is just dangling free...
I seem to be missing the purge solenoid valve, but I don't know which of the many purge valves I need to replace it. The hose has a "V" connector with two more hoses. Is that even correct? Anyone have the 1988 5.8L ? Can you describe where the canistor hose goes and what part it connects to? My manual indicates the EFI engine has some sort of electrical connector solenoid. Post some pictures?

Thanks

#2 ·
On my 1988 5.8L the charcoal canister in the front has a hose going to the gas tank, and a second hose that goes where? Mine is just dangling free...
See the pic below of my 1990 5.8L VECI Label.

You can see the Fuel Vapor Line originating at the fuel tank, going through a Vacuum Restrictor (VREST) to the Carbon Canister, and then through the Canister Purge Regulator Valve (CPRV) (aka Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)) to the Throttle Body.

Here is a pic of the Canister Purge Regulator Valve (CPRV), (aka Canister Purge (CANP)), that you are looking for. My CPRV/CANP Solenoid is mounted adjacent to my throttle body. It is obvious when you see it.

Here is a pic of the CPRV/CANP Solenoid location in my engine compartment. See the red circle. Note the Harness Connector and also the vent lines from the Carbon Canister and to the Throttle Body.

See this link to Steve83's explanation of the Carbon Canister. Lots more information at BroncoLinks.com. :thumbup

#3 ·
All EFI engines don't have the CANP solenoid. Mine is a 90 and it doesn't. On some it was just never there. Apparently there are one or more computers that don't have that code because the vehicles they went in weren't outfitted with the solenoid. Knowing this, even if you did have the solenoid and it went bad you could just emilinate it and run the vent line straight to the TB, that's how mine is and that's how my vac diagram under the hood shows it.

#16 ·
I was taking my CANP solenoid off to check it and the tubes at the top snapped. I really do not want to drop the coin for one of these. So, just to clarify, you're saying I can run the vacuum straight to the TB w/o any problems??what about the connector that goes to the EGR??

Thanks, Bob! Clearly, my post is true for my 1990 5.8L.

Further research shows that the 5.8L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1989. The 5.0L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1992. The CANP may be added or removed from a fuel tank vapor management system depending upon the requirements of the specific PCM.

I note that even Steve83 states:

Considering this, and for my clarification, was your original vehicle a 1990 5.8L or 5.0L? Was your PCM Federal or California? Seeing that 88desertbronco has a 1988 5.8L, it would indeed seem that he can run his vent line from the Carbon Canister directly to the Throttle Body.

I guess the moral of this story is the importance of having the correct VECI label for your PCM. :beer

#4 ·

Further research shows that the 5.8L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1989. The 5.0L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1992. The CANP may be added or removed from a fuel tank vapor management system depending upon the requirements of the specific PCM.

Another tube leads from the canister toward the engine's intake, but it may contain a regulator valve (CANP solenoid, or VMV).
Considering this, and for my clarification, was your original vehicle a 1990 5.8L or 5.0L? Was your PCM Federal or California? Seeing that 88desertbronco has a 1988 5.8L, it would indeed seem that he can run his vent line from the Carbon Canister directly to the Throttle Body.

I guess the moral of this story is the importance of having the correct VECI label for your PCM. :beer

#5 ·

Further research shows that the 5.8L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1989. The 5.0L has a CANP Solenoid starting in 1992. The CANP may be added or removed from a fuel tank vapor system depending upon the requirements of the specific PCM.

Hmmm good to know... I'm runnin an '88 ECU for my 351W. No CANP solenoid codes or the like. Glad to have proof it's not needed.... Unfortunately doesn't help my high idle problem solving...

#6 ·
My 1988 Bronco was originally from Florida, and I bought it in 2003 in California, but the owner only recently had it brought it into California. So I am assuming PCM Federal controls vs CARB. My valve disappeared at some point (maybe off-roading), so I am trying to make it right. I didn't pass CARB smog because they are now pumping air pressure into the gas tank and checking if the gas tank vapor line has a leak.

#8 ·
I just went and looked at mine and the CANP is capped on both ends, where it goes into the throttlebody is capped.Im guessing the can that is under the battery is the carbon cannister and the hose line comning off of it is just hanging free. Is that fine or should I do something about it??

#9 ·
If your unconnected free line is coming off of your Vacuum Reservoir (VRESER), you have a vacuum leak.

If your unconnected free line is coming off of your Carbon Canister, you are venting gas vapor into the atmosphere and polluting the environment. I would appreciate it if you would hook it up. At least bypass the CANP and run it straight to the Throttle Body. :thumbup

Here is a pic of a Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP):

Here is a pic of a Carbon Cannister:

Here is a pic of a Vacuum Reservoir (VRESER):

#11 ·
#15 ·
I have a CA 88 with a 5.8 and one goes to collect vapors from the fuel tank, the other does not have a selenoid but does have a Y barb fitting with two lines connecting to the TB inlet barbs located at the top and bottom side, they are hard to see, use a small mirror to see. They are 90 deg hose barbs that collect fuel vapors and route them into the intake such that they are burnt for smog purposes.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info..After removing it and hooking the line directly to the TB I started my rig up, it stuttered for a couple of seconds and then started idling way high..close to 1500 RPMS..It came down to right around 1100, but no where near as low as it did with the solenoid place.. I'm assuming there was probably open vacuum somewhere along that line and the CANP was keeping it out at idle..Anyway, I'm going to order another one..Silverstate Ford parts has them for $45 plus shipping.

#19 ·
Back from the dead!

Got a question about the CANP. Im going to be doing a motor swap in another week or so, and the "new" motor & ECM use it, but my '88 5.8 never had one. I dont see much of a need for it since i dont do more than ~100 miles or so a year, and it looks to be in rough shape, so im just goint to junk it. Is there some way i can fool the ECM into not throwing a code? Ill be in the harness anyway deleting the EGR/TAB/TAD, so i figure i can do this at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.