Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home ran into some traffic and as I slowed down to almost a stop the Bronco died, got it into park and started it up and continued on came to another stop a fews minuties later and it died again, struggled to start this time but did and continued on, didn't die again but felt like it would..

Here's the specs
1988 Bronco Custom 302 5.0L

Codes pulled
KOEO

KOER
Checking these codes looks like some issue with the egr system not sure where though
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would check distributer. The PIP AND TFI go bad causing intermittent issues like that. Won't start, then will..... If u have another distributer, swap out or borrow one?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to start with the EGR 33 error, I bought the EGR solenoid and position sensor(cheapest). Installed the solenoid first reset the PCM and warmed the vehicle up. tested for codes and now the 33 does not show. I do still get these codes

KOER

What should I do next?

·
Super Moderator
23,930 Posts
Yo sbail1,
DTC 12 Cannot control RPM during Self-Test; high RPM check; vacuum leak, base idle off, idle air control (IAC) valve dirty or bad, EGR stuck open. Check the IAC valve port in TB for Sludge; Suspect throttle body coking.
How to Clean and Test your IAC by @Seattle FSB

See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl some jowens126 HVAC Control Panel pics/info @ Help with dtc codes and idle

DTC 13 is Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test low RPM check. possible causes are:
Suspect IAC; Removal & Cleaning in a 93 5.8 by Bobby (blue) at 1993 Ford Bronco misc pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl some jowens126 HVAC Control Panel pics/info @ Help with dtc codes and idle

77 System failed to recognize brief WOT during Dynamic Response Test (user error). ...This is another code generated when the dynamic response or "goose" test as some refer to it is not performed during the KOER test. The KOER test requires that after a certain length of time the throttle be opened to bring the idle above 2000 rpm for a short period of time. If the dynamic response test is not performed or the rpm's do not peak ABOVE 2000 rpm's this code will be generated. (Computer needs to compare changes in sensor readings at different RPM's to determine system operation and efficiency)..." Iggie

52 Power steering pressure switch always open or closed.
During code test, on vehicles equipped with the Power Steering Pressure (PSPS) switch, within 1 to 2 seconds after the ID code, the steering wheel must be turned at least one-half turn and released. The PSPS Switch signals the EEC Module when power steering pressure exceeds 350 psi ±50. The engine then increases idle speed to compensate for the additional load.
The PSPS mounts in the pressure line near where the rubber hose is crimped to the hard-line at the steering gearbox inlet. If you have the 5.0 with E4OD, you won't have a PSPS.
Connector Location pic

2 wire plug, wire colors are red/yellow and grey/red. Ford included the connector even if the switch wasn't installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's been awhile, been putting what I was going to do (replacing the tps) off because of my inexperience. Well today I replaced the tps sensor, cleaned the throttle body up a bit. Re-installed everything, seemed to go well. Now the truck has a low idle and is throwing code 63. The truck when started diles low and will sometimes stall. If I give it some gas it will idle steady, check engine light stays on. Pulling codes with the KOER doesn't change the idle at all, before it would change the idle when pulling codes

·
Super Moderator
23,930 Posts
Yo sbail,
63 KOEO TPS circuit below minimum 0.6 volts.
CM TPS circuit has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts.

Do the Throttle Position Sensor Testing, Replacement & Adjustment by Seattle FSB @ Throttle Position Sensor Testing, Replacement and Adjustment

FYI, with a cold engine, idle should be around 675 RPMs slightly After engine comes down from higher RPMs.

After making any TPS Adjustments and idle is still too low see my Vacuum leak test in post #11 @ Help with dtc codes and idle
One tip, When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly.
➡Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost

As for "Pulling codes with the KOER doesn't change the idle at all, before it would change the idle when pulling codes";
TPS, MAP and KS sensors are exercised during the brief Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) performed during the Engine Running Self-Test. The signal for the operator to perform the brief WOT is a single pulse or 10 code on the STAR Tester. Think this caused that issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts