Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Bronco with a 351 V-8 engine. It's making a noise when acceleration. I cannot tell if it's a manifold leak or a valve tapping. Any suggestions where to start?

I don't see any signs of a manifold leak so far. The truck seems to run fine other than the noise it's making. When I'm idleing, you can barely hear it. Under a load (I haul a trailer with mowing equipment), it gets very loud. You can also hear it more on the inside of the cab than you can the outside, when hood is shut. When the hood is open, I cannot tell if it's manifold or tapping at the valves.

I don't know where to start or what to check first.

Thanks, tony

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Low on oil? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around gasket areas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
88 Bronco

I just changed the oil about 2 weeks ago, so, I know it's good.

It's been doing this for a little while but, seems to get louder and louder each time I drive it.

I did clean out the carb, do you think this could be causing it? Should I change the plugs?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
What's the noise sound like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
88 Bronco

I cannot tell if it's a tapping or a gasket leak at the header. But it gets louder as you give it gas, the sound is similar.

I guess I'd say its more like a loud tapping...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sounds like exhaust manifold gasket.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does it sound like its from the bottom of the motor? Louder when its cold or warm??? Know what a rod knock sounds like?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,208 Posts
The old mechanic's trick is to put a hose near your ear & move the other end around to locate the noise. An exhaust leak is very clear thru a hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts