Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its sad.... and I know it... but my 1988 XLT with an efi 302 and a C-6 had to be taken apart, It's exhaust manifolds cracked in half and then after a replacement, it's transmission began to slip more easily. So I pulled the trannie and rebuilt her at my school's autoshop using a TCI clutchs/valve body/springs/bushings and a lot of my own blood. It all worked out with the transmission, the air pressure checks were spot on with the repair manual's descriptions. So I have the transmission sitting on a tire, full of ATF, input/output drenched in wd-40, with a bag, waiting for a new torque converter.
Transfer Case came under my attention when I noticed that 4H never engaged, it just spun. Odd, because all of the other three gears worked.
Working on the engine rebuild right now using a stock bottom end with clevite 77 standard bearings and sealed power standard rings. replaced rod bolts with ARP for ford 289-302s. Honed all cylinders with two types of hones, both by flex-hone, a 180 grit and a 240 grit. Had the block sent to machine shop for a hot tank and a wheelabrating, no cylinder work, they were good, just no hone left, no ridges. Crank is in spec according to Chiltons, cam is rusty(thanks dad :duh ) from being left out during a rainstorm. All upper valvetrain parts are worn but still working.
Onto parts.
I have a 347 stroker(sexy notches) block sittin on a tire in my shop, full of all the goodies, {eagle H beam rods, eagle stroker crank, mahle pistons}(all forged :thumbup ), clevite bearings, a ford racing E303 cam, Ford racing Hydraulic Roller Lifters, a set of comp cams roller rockers with the polylocks and I had big plans for the heads, but cash ran short. Plus this was all for a fox body. Still planning to put it in a fox body. Then dump just the right amount of nitrous in it's intake at juuuuust the right time. anyways, dreams can wait.
So My bronco needs a cam, I have the E303 roller sitting around, with lifters, only problem is that I've heard the cam upgrades in Speed Density Broncos (mine being in that list) cause problems. Read something like the LSA can't be more than 114 degrees or death. I'm planning to port/polish my E7 heads and apply the comp cams rockers, I know they're 1.6 ratio, which is a change from stock. Looking for a bit of advice on the cam setup and maybe some links to sites where I can learn a bit more about the limitations of Speed Density, my teachers at autoshop keep calling it old tech, but I don't care. Old tech has to run too :rockon . I have headers and a bassani extreme y pipe as well as a BBK twin 56mm throttle body for this truck and I really want her to run again.
Also will my modifications require an injector upgrade? pricy but possible.
Hoping those who have been there and done that have some advice for this predicament.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Probably better to get an A9L computer and convert to MAF in order to make the cam produce? any ideas on what kind of power specs a stock 302 with a set of e7 port and polished heads/intake with an e303 cam and roller lifter/rockers will make? trying to guess at a good gearset to match the engine as well. Also, would a set of GT40p heads work better with this setup?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts