Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use the sepentine belt setup from an 89efi on a 1971 302 motor??
What about changing from the 302EFI to a 302 carb. Any problems bolting up to the AOD tranny?? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Should be the same as far as I know assuming it's still a windsor. I did this on my 86. You'll have to change the timing cover, water pump, idler pulley/bracket, accessory brackets and accessories. You'll also need at least one molded heater tube to go from the upper nipple over the idler pulley. Oh yeah, plus timing cover/water pump gasket set. Since you basically take the front down to the block I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing for any 302w.

EFI to carb I don't see why not but I haven't done that.

Edit: Oh, and search. I know I've written at least some information on the v-belt to serp swap and I'm sure there is info on carb to efi and therefore the reverse regardless of whether anybody posted about going the other way or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm going to run the truck as is for now, 287,000 original miles on the 5.0efi. I've found a couple threads on the efi to carb swap.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There is an easier way to swap over to the serp setup. The mid-late 80s crown vic style cars (town car,marquis) had a DUAL belt setup that works fine. I only have PS and ALT on mine but you can take the two mounts for that and bolt them onto the drivers side of your engine. It leaves a TON of room to work and you do not have to replace any other components.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts