Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOWDEE!
I AM RUNNING SUPER SWAMPER IROK'S
36*13.5*15. I USE THIS TRUCK AS A DAILY DRIVER, I CURRENTLY HAVE MY STOCK GEARS 3:55, I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT GEAR RATIO YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING WITH THIS SIZE OF TIRE! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT IN THE CITY AND HIGHWAY AS-WELL!
I FOLLOWED SOME FORMULA TO FIGURE OUT THE GEAR RATIO AND I CAME UP WITH 4:27, I AM NOT SURE IF A 4:56 GEAR RATIO WILL BE TO LOW OF A GEAR AND MY ENGINE WILL BE SCREAMING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS!
ENGINE IS A 351 / 5.8LITER
MEINEKE GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE OF $500.00 FOR LABOR ONLY, AND I GET THE GEARS! ANY IDEAS ON A GOOD BRAND OF GEARS, I KNOW MOTORSPORTS IS SUPPOSE TO BE THE BEST, BUT I WAS TOLD THEY DON'T GO LOWER THAN 4:10' S

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
Damn, take those cap locks off.:histerica

Most people on here are running 4:56 with those size of tires, personally I don't know how it would run since got 31s and stock gears.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I bump 4.56....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
With an OD manual transmission, 4.10s and 32s I'm turning about 2500rpms at 60mph. I'd think you'd be fine with 4.56s, especially with an OD transmission.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Ya woulda been nice to know what tranny, C-6 I might say 4.10 any OD tranny 4.56

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Go with 4.10s then.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would pull the trans info to make sure it is not a AOD.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could be right the trans code for C6 is G and AOD is T

·
Registered
155 Posts
With 36s 4.10s with a 351 is going to be OK at highway speed, but a real dog otherwise. 4.56s are giong to be better off the line but screaming high on the freeway. That's just the way it is until you get a real motor to turn those big tires.
Oh yeah, and if you can't afford good quality gears (Dana/Spicer, Richmond, Precision, Ford) than just deal with the crappy ratio until you can, cheap gears are NEVER worth it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another path would be to leave the gears alone unless the axles need rebuilding anyhow. I'm using 315x75x16 (35s) and am purpously keeping the 3.50s so for normal driving I'll have highway gears, if I remember correctly at 70 I'll be doing about 2,000 rpm. Use a doubler to regain and even add a bit of ratio for slow work or with the doubler and tcase in low you have realy low gears. The cost is on the street with a small eng and heavy weight it will be a bit of a pooch taking off.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
BRONKO806 said:
thanks for the info! i might just stay with my 3:55's so i can keep using it as a daily driver and be able to get on the highway without the engine screaming!
The 4.10's wouldn't make the engine scream at highway speeds as much as the 4.56's would, and this would give you a little more firm throttle response.

I wouldn't go to Meineke either. Go to whatever chapter your in (Midwest, dixie, etc.) and find a good 4x shop or mechanic. I am not downing ALL the chain car places, but i have never had much luck with them.

You have to be eating fuel too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for you input, i am in NJ so we don't have to many 4*4 shops around here, i recently installed my k&n filter, and to me it has made a noticiable difference in throttle response, now i am thinking of getting headers, maybe longtube i am not sure if they are better then shorty's i am looking for horse power and torque! open for any ideas!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
BRONKO806 said:
Thanks for you input, i am in NJ so we don't have to many 4*4 shops around here, i recently installed my k&n filter, and to me it has made a noticiable difference in throttle response, now i am thinking of getting headers, maybe longtube i am not sure if they are better then shorty's i am looking for horse power and torque! open for any ideas!
Where in NJ are you? I am up in Hudson County......and I know of one or two four wheel drive shops that I would trust to do the job correctly and go the extra mile getting it right.......they charge for it, but all I want is what I want, and I am willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey,

I have an 88' with a 302 and 35x12.50, 6" lift and 4.10 gears. It was a freakin cow on the highway with the 3.55's. I put in 4.10 Ford Racing Gears and it still does 2100 rpm at 68-70 mph. Thats exactly what it used to do with stock tires and gears. The engine DOES NOT scream on the hwy. As a matter of fact it helps keep the beast in OD most of the time on the highway. I was worried too but there really is nothing to worry about. People forget that getting 4.10 gears on a truck is sometimes a factory option.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BADBRONCO88 said:
Hey,

I have an 88' with a 302 and 35x12.50, 6" lift and 4.10 gears. It was a freakin cow on the highway with the 3.55's. I put in 4.10 Ford Racing Gears and it still does 2100 rpm at 68-70 mph. Thats exactly what it used to do with stock tires and gears. The engine DOES NOT scream on the hwy. As a matter of fact it helps keep the beast in OD most of the time on the highway. I was worried too but there really is nothing to worry about. People forget that getting 4.10 gears on a truck is sometimes a factory option.

Thanks for the update on the 4:10"s,
i was kind of giving up on the idea of changing the gear ratio since my tranny is only a 3 speed automatic and no over drive!
is there any one out there with this set up that can give my their input!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts