Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1989 C6 - Valvoline DEX/MERC? causing shift issues?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GetBent4x4 
#1 ·
Hey. I've read multiple pages of C6 issues and can't find this one addressed.

When I start my 1989 351 up cold, it gives me a great, solid shift into reverse. Once the engine is hot, as long as I keep it running or I shut if off for a quick stop, it shifts into reverse just fine. But when I leave it for an hour or so, I can't get the transmission to shift into reverse. Literally I can shift in and out of reverse with no engagement. Forward engages just fine. Shifts are firm, all the time.

Also, while driving, most of the time it will not shift into third gear until I drop it into neutral and let the RPMs drop below 2000. Pop it back into gear and it then shifts into third just fine.

I recently replaced the vacuum modulator, no real change. Fluid level is perfect. I recently replaced the screen and filled it back up with Valvoline Dex/Merc, which stipulates that it is for Ford applications, though it does not specifically indicate that it is a replacement for Mercon V or Type F.

The description reads:
  • Recommended for use in the following applications: MERCON, DEXRON-III, Ford M2C138-CJ and M2C166-H, Allison C-4 and TES-389 and Caterpillar TO-2
Any thoughts about this issue? Could it be fluid related? Or something else? Honestly, I've not checked the vacuum yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mercon V is a synthetic which replaced mercon III. A while back ford stated that if you drained all the old fluid out you could use V in place of III. They also said you never have to change it if you have an auxiliary filter so take it with a grain of salt. I don't recall if III is ok for a c6.

#5 ·
There is many versions of mercon. Refer to the thread I made about Mercon, MerconV, and generic atf. Essentially Regular generic Mercon is what you want to run in a c6; as that is the only Mercon available; I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.