Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok after much searching i am lost first of all the swap is for an 1989 f-150 cause i have had it with this ttb axle so first of all what year axle do you guys recommend because i looked at all tha pages on good and bad of all of them so help me pick one and who makes tha best axle swap kit iam thinking of getting the bronco graveyard 8'' solid axle swap kit but what else will i need to get for the convertion cause i already have the lift so i can use the coils from it but can you guys just give me a basic parts list and year axle to get so i can start my build and i am a good welder so fabing parts wont be a problem but instead of just jumping under my truck and just start cutting and welding i wanted help from tha pros cause you guys have some sick rigs thank

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I call bullshit on reading all the SAS threads if you think there's a best kit for a SAS.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do ome reading and you will find the answer for every question you asked. If you are a great fabricator then why can't you build the lift yourself? Actually do some research before people you have read.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do ome reading and you will find the answer for every question you asked. If you are a great fabricator then why can't you build the lift yourself? Actually do some research before people you have read.
I call bullshit on reading all the SAS threads if you think there's a best kit for a SAS.
X2 on both responses.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
dana 60 all the way or you could use a dana 44 high pinoin, check out the CAGE sas setup. i just got a dana 60 yesterday and they are not cheap. kepp reading the sas threads there are tons of stuff there you may have overlooked. welcome aboard!!!!!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I was looking I called JBG and they told me that the SAS kit without the axle included everything I would need. But I built my own using leafs.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
id go with a dana 60 but if it has to be a 44 look for a 77 and earlier axle but only if it has open nuckles and disc brakes and only if it is a high pinion axle becuase the 78 and later axles use weird radius arm mounts and have thinner wall tubes but i still have a 79 axle in my 94 f150 and even though it has the weird radius arm mounts and the thin tubes its never given me any problems but id feel better if it just was the earlyer axle that had the thicker half inch thick tubes because mine are a quarter inch thick now and also the 77 and earlier axles are stronger because the tube extends all the way to the inner nuckle and on the 78 and 79 axle it doesnt or if you really want to be cool you should find a dana 60 because those are the best and only an idiot would put a dana 44 axle under their truck when they could gat a dana 60 instead because they are a lot better and the dana 44 axles are weak compared to a dana 60 unless you get warn shafts and ctm u joints but then you have already spent over a thousand dollars on the 44 axle to make it stronger but its still not as strong as the 60 is and you spent more money on those warn shafts and ctm u joints then what you could have gotten a 60 for plus you would have a bigger ring and pinion and have a higher wight capacity axle with 8 lugs already on it and you wouldnt have to swap your 44 over to 8 lugs to be as cool as the rest of us with 8 lugs already i think

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yeah i didnt mean i literally read all of them but i read quite a few. the info is overwhelming and the reason i asked so many questions is this is my first time doing this type of thing. someone also said i should run a dana 60 but if i did that how would i change the speed sensor to work with a 14bolt dana60 or what ever rear axle i used in the truck. and the reason iam not trying to build my own suspension is i have no clule where to start thats why i was researching kits to make my first time alot smother. but i wound like to run a dana 60 front and rear or 60 up front and 14 bolt in rear but i need to know how to make that sensor work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the sterling rears have the vss. look for one from the early to mid 90's. they come stock on f250's & f350's.
how much do they cost on average. or would it be easier to add the vss to a dana 60. an does anyone have part numbers for the tone ring and the vss sensor i cant see them in the pics.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
how much do they cost on average. or would it be easier to add the vss to a dana 60. an does anyone have part numbers for the tone ring and the vss sensor i cant see them in the pics.
Anywhere from free to $1000, with the majority of them being $100 to $300 in used/good used/ rebuildable condition.

i may sound really stupid for asking this but what is JBG
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

1989 bronco's have VSS sensors? My 1990 F150 had a wire going to the transfer case. Thats weird.
Yeah I think 87 or 88 or something like that was when they were added. I have one sterling that doesn't have one and its an 86 and I think the one I have now that has one was from an 88 F250.

Oh and its a lot easier to just get the Sterling because it already has it and its kinda of a bolt in swap instead of getting a Dana 60 rear and making one.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1989 bronco's have VSS sensors? My 1990 F150 had a wire going to the transfer case. Thats weird.
My 90 doesnt have VSS in the rear axle. I think they changed to that in 92 but dont quote me. Anyways Im pretty sure you dont need to worry about VSS in the rear, but theres a really easy way tell and it will take less than 2 minutes of your time...

As far as the kits for SAS go, fabritech makes the only one and its distributed through JBG, and most people bash on it. From what Ive seen, heard and read on it its not very impressive but I guess it works. Cage Off-Road sells the majority of the parts you need for a SAS and there bolt on. Its been covered time and time again how you can do a SAS with little to no fab work and since you claim fabbing isnt a problem, it sounds like the only thing holding you back is a couple months of reading hours every night on this forum.

Ive literally been reading SAS threads for 3 years and just finished mine, and I still had unanswered questions in my head when I started.

You really need to spend some time reading SAS threads on here.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
1987 and up have a rear VSS for either the rear ABS or 4WABS.If you want a dana 60 with a rear VSS,use a dana 60 out of an E350 van.If you get the right years,it will have disc brakes(all the E350 van dana 60's have the standard 8 hole pattern).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts