Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FSB family. So I am getting very close to pulling my 5.0 out of my 1989 Bronco to swap the old engine out for a newer 5.0 out of a 1993 F-150.
I’m deleting the Air Injection Pump (Smog Pump). I am wondering what catalytic converter I should put in its place. I am wondering also if I should do headers at this time, or wait until I rebuild the 1989 engine. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
624 Posts
Curious? Why are you deleting the Smog Pump? Are you doing a complete Smog delete with electrical, plates, plugs, etc? If you don't you will through your ECU off.
Most don't see significant gains besides cleaning up the engine compartment. I would just leave it if you can. Otherwise plug the CAT sensor and get a SMOG delete kit with a EGR Plate. If you are going to this much trouble, YES definitely install new headers. You can always use the headers on the new build, depending on how long that might be. Summit shorty headers only lasted a couple years for me. But they are super cheap.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smog pump is frozen up, has been for a year, and yes I’m deleting the TAb/TAD, keeping the EGR.

I have a line on Bassani headers. I’m not sure how long it will be until I get the engine rebuilt... 6 months to a year... maybe sooner.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Below is where I talk about deleting the air injection pump

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
624 Posts
Smog pump is frozen up, has been for a year, and yes I’m deleting the TAb/TAD, keeping the EGR.

I have a line on Bassani headers. I’m not sure how long it will be until I get the engine rebuilt... 6 months to a year... maybe sooner.
Bassani headers are Sweet! Get'em off you have a good deal on them. Pair them up with the Bassani Y-Pipe and you are golden.

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bassani headers are Sweet! Get'em off you have a good deal on them. Pair them up with the Bassani Y-Pipe and you are golden.
That’s where the cat comes in... I want the Bassani Y pipe, so I am thinking new cat while I’m there, then when I build my new engine, I will do a cat back...

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
That’s where the cat comes in... I want the Bassani Y pipe, so I am thinking new cat while I’m there, then when I build my new engine, I will do a cat back...
I think you can get the y-pipe with a CAT or NO CAT. You can always just plug the bung hole too. Hey now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you can get the y-pipe with a CAT or NO CAT. You can always just plug the bung hole too. Hey now.
Hahahahaha... I think for right now I’m plugging the hole... I don’t want to contaminate the new cats with with crud from this tired JY engine... I’ll do the complete exhaust as I rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
FYI - I'm late to the party - but removing the smog pump and the Thermactor system does NOT throw any sort of code at all - if you leave the TAB / TAD solenoid hooked up to the harness and plug the vacuum outlets. If you unplug them, it will throw a code because it can't detect their presence. You can solder a certain value resistor into to the TAB / TAD solenoid plugs to keep the ECU from triggering a fault. (You're essentially faking the response the solenoids would give when plugged up).

The AIR / Thermactor system is not needed with any modern 3 way catalytic converter. The AIR system was a way to keep the early cat converters from dying a quick death if the engine ran way rich / lean (and a way for manufacturers to not have to deal with warranty repairs on emission components which had a substantially longer warranty than their own power train warranties).

I know there is a lot of love for the Bassani y-pipe here - but for the cost difference you can buy the JEGS off road pipe, buy a new modern high flow cat and still have some money to throw at headers. I have the JBA stainless headers, JEGS off road Y-pipe running into a 2.5" bullet type cat converter. Exhaust runs clean, sounds great - zero issues.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI - I'm late to the party - but removing the smog pump and the Thermactor system does NOT throw any sort of code at all - if you leave the TAB / TAD solenoid hooked up to the harness and plug the vacuum outlets. If you unplug them, it will throw a code because it can't detect their presence. You can solder a certain value resistor into to the TAB / TAD solenoid plugs to keep the ECU from triggering a fault. (You're essentially faking the response the solenoids would give when plugged up).

The AIR / Thermactor system is not needed with any modern 3 way catalytic converter. The AIR system was a way to keep the early cat converters from dying a quick death if the engine ran way rich / lean (and a way for manufacturers to not have to deal with warranty repairs on emission components which had a substantially longer warranty than their own power train warranties).

I know there is a lot of love for the Bassani y-pipe here - but for the cost difference you can buy the JEGS off road pipe, buy a new modern high flow cat and still have some money to throw at headers. I have the JBA stainless headers, JEGS off road Y-pipe running into a 2.5" bullet type cat converter. Exhaust runs clean, sounds great - zero issues.
Thank you for this information. I haven’t started putting the Bronco back together yet. But my plan was essentially the same as you suggest for the TAD/TAB. Run vacuum to the solenoids and plug them in. Later on down the road I will be removing them completely from the equation.

Great tip on the JEGS Y pipe and cat. I’ll be looking into this when I redo my exhaust.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You don't even need to run vacuum to the solenoids. Just use plugs on the outlets / inlets on the solenoids and plug them up the electrical harness. Done this way on the 95 and the kid has been 3000 miles on it - no check engine light.

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
I have a 95 but had to get a new converter due to the flange braking off the y pipe. I have been super happy with the Flowmaster Y pipe/ converter that I got. Y pipe is bigger diameter. Also if you cut the step off the intermediate pipe it is 2.5" part # 2020057. If you don't want to use the converter it is just clamped on. I also recommend that unless you need the hanger on the intermediate pipe to go ahead and cut it off before you put it in.
Flowmaster 2020057 Flowmaster Catalytic Converter - Direct Fit - Federal

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
I forgot to say that the y pipe is suppose to be the restriction in the system. Comparing the old one to the new one I can see why. It also got rid of one cat for me. I am a 5 speed manual with 3.55 and 30" tires and it runs nice with the y pipe. I did about a year later replace my muffler ( went with a magnaflow) and a used 2.5" tail pipe that I wont say what it is off of... but did not notice much of a change with the muffler and tail pipe. ( I had not driven it with the old Y pipe to be able to tell a difference but it does/ did feel better than some other units I test drove.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.