Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FSB family. So I am getting very close to pulling my 5.0 out of my 1989 Bronco to swap the old engine out for a newer 5.0 out of a 1993 F-150.
I’m deleting the Air Injection Pump (Smog Pump). I am wondering what catalytic converter I should put in its place. I am wondering also if I should do headers at this time, or wait until I rebuild the 1989 engine. Any advice greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smog pump is frozen up, has been for a year, and yes I’m deleting the TAb/TAD, keeping the EGR.

I have a line on Bassani headers. I’m not sure how long it will be until I get the engine rebuilt... 6 months to a year... maybe sooner.

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Below is where I talk about deleting the air injection pump

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI - I'm late to the party - but removing the smog pump and the Thermactor system does NOT throw any sort of code at all - if you leave the TAB / TAD solenoid hooked up to the harness and plug the vacuum outlets. If you unplug them, it will throw a code because it can't detect their presence. You can solder a certain value resistor into to the TAB / TAD solenoid plugs to keep the ECU from triggering a fault. (You're essentially faking the response the solenoids would give when plugged up).

The AIR / Thermactor system is not needed with any modern 3 way catalytic converter. The AIR system was a way to keep the early cat converters from dying a quick death if the engine ran way rich / lean (and a way for manufacturers to not have to deal with warranty repairs on emission components which had a substantially longer warranty than their own power train warranties).

I know there is a lot of love for the Bassani y-pipe here - but for the cost difference you can buy the JEGS off road pipe, buy a new modern high flow cat and still have some money to throw at headers. I have the JBA stainless headers, JEGS off road Y-pipe running into a 2.5" bullet type cat converter. Exhaust runs clean, sounds great - zero issues.
Thank you for this information. I haven’t started putting the Bronco back together yet. But my plan was essentially the same as you suggest for the TAD/TAB. Run vacuum to the solenoids and plug them in. Later on down the road I will be removing them completely from the equation.

Great tip on the JEGS Y pipe and cat. I’ll be looking into this when I redo my exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.