Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just purchased a 1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition which needs 2 things (more to come I'm sure).
1. New exhaust system
2. Power window motor

Any suggestions as to where one should begin looking for these items?

Also, there is play in the steering. Any thoughts as to what a common fix is for this?

Looking forward to learning more from you all.

Regards,
Jerrold
LewisBronco

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
Hi all,
Just purchased a 1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition which needs 2 things (more to come I'm sure).
1. New exhaust system
2. Power window motor

Also, there is play in the steering. Any thoughts as to what a common fix is for this?

Regards,
Jerrold
LewisBronco
Welcome! Mike will give you a list to check on the steering but it’s a common issue amongst these bad boys. Mine is narrowed down to gear box and shaft and both will be done soon enough.

Exhaust, I went to my local exhaust shop I’ve used 100 times in the past and had them replace the old rusty factory crap with new piping and flow master 40’s and she purs nice now.

Power window motor was also replaced by a dorman unit I bought at autozone but sometimes they can be repaired and not just replaced.

Good luck and let’s see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated. Glad to know about the exhaust. Wasn't sure if it was as simple as going to a muffler shop and getting a new one put on. Thanks.
The gent we bought it from said that the power window may be fixable without a new part. We'll have to see if we can do it.

The steering soulds like a bigger job? I hope to find a local guy with some Bronco knowledge to do the work for me.

Attached is a Pic I took today. It has 89000 miles on it and has been sitting in a barn for 10 years. Got it for $2400. Any thoughts on how to begin going over this truck tip to bottom would be helpful. Seems like new plugs, belts, etc are in order. Would you use synthetic oil with this or?

Thanks again,
Jerrold
LewisBronco

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
163 Posts
Hi all,
1. New exhaust system
2. Power window motor

Regards,
Jerrold
LewisBronco
I had to replace the steering gear box to get the excess slack out of my '89 XLT. (You can't get it all out) Take it slow and easy. Don't get in a big hurry. You'll eventually get it all fixed up.

Had all 04 ball joints replaced on my truck a year or so ago. After the test drive I went back to the shop and told the mechanic that it still wanders all over the road. Can't just go along for the ride - have to stay on it all the time to keep it straight in the road. Would you believe his comments "Just give the ball joints time to wear a little and when they get seated the wandering will stop". I don't go to that shop anymore. I had to go to another shop to get it realigned. Drives very good now.
TB

Reactions: LewisBronco

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Red or blue top steering box. New Moog tie rods. Change all the fluids. 10w30 conventional oil. Supertech is cheap and good. Motorcraft filters from rockauto.com. same with tie rods and auto replacement parts. Rockauto has walker tailpipes. Window motor you can out new bushings in made by MTM motormite or a whole new window motor.

Transmission cooler off a 99-04 super duty. Remote transmission filter.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo Jerrold,
Welcome!
I moved your post to this Noobie Bronco Tech Questions, Flame free zone. It will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

As the seller mentioned, the power window motor may need a cheap part such as the Motor Torque Pin (also called Bushing) Info & pic (Tailgate, but same for PW); "...fixed it for free some fuel line and a few small cunks of a bolt. Here is a closeup of the bad parts. in the points of the triangle there should be 3 round pins. this help cousion the window from motor shock. I cleaned all the old grease out of the motor and the final drive. my final drive was fine so i was going to reuse it. To rebuild for almost free here is all you need. some fuel line and some steel rod or round spacer (this keeps the fuel line from colapsing completely) i cut the fuel line to the height of the drive gear housing and cut the spacers from round stock i had on the bench. the steel spacers go inside of the rubber fuel line. then the rubber fuel line and steel spacers go in the final drive gear.this was a tight fit but not too tight.
Source: by Michael C (collinsperformance, The Money Monster) at FSB

Here are the 89 Bronco exhaust system parts by Walker Exhaust who supplied Ford with our systems. Perhaps a local shop will source these for you.

Here is some other info for you; 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

See and Vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes!

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts