Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vehicle info:
1989 ford bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 v8 with aod transmission, 88,600 miles

hello FSB forum! I come again asking for some help. this time its related with my vehicles PCM

I've had a lot of issues with my car and nothing was fixing them. backfire out the exhaust at partial throttle, dogcrap gas mileage (4 to 5 mpg) rpms dropping all of a sudden and sometimes die out on me. fuel pump doesn't stop once its primed (engine off) and a whole other assortment of issues.

i did a test to pull the codes and I got codes 12, 14, 15 KOEO, 41 KOER
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering
, and 77.
so i decided to remove the computer and open it up. and that's where I require a second pair of eyes, as I don't know the condition of it, I will attach some images down below.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

this is an overall image, you can see 2 items that seemed burned towards the top right, a blue and yellow capacitor (?), towards the top there is also an area of interest that looks burnt. don't know what it is exactly.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Resistor Hardware programmer

close up of the leaky capacitors (?) does anyone know what the purpose of these are?

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

2nd area of interest, seems like its also burnt, don't know the purpose of this. the area right at the top next to the screw.

RockAuto sells one of these units for about $150, i am planning on buying one of them as it seems like the most affordable option, and i only need it temporarily while i wait to find a good donor f150 to do a I6 swap.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking some time to read this 馃憤

Registered
I have an electronics shop near my house. I'd take it to him, and ask him to match up the parts. Then I'd try to solder them in place. What the heck? It'll only be a couple of dollars, and a great big boost to your bragging rights if you fix it.

Yeah, those leaking capacitors may well be your problem. I don't know about the third thing you pointed out.

Super Moderator
Yo
As BroncoJoe19 advised on the parts replacement, see 87-96 capacitor Repair Kit @ Amazon.com

Here are some PCM KILLER perpetrators and other causes:

Smell around the PCM. If it smells like dead fish, it's bad.
Look for PCM printed circuit board burn marks around leaking capacitors, resistors.
View attachment 182797
For example, see Old leaky capacitors in swapped EEC and no more codes by jowens1126
Water damage from cowl leaks, ESPECIALLY if you you have wet carpet or mat near driver kick panel; or on PCM Connector due to a bad hood seal near cowl panel, viewable with hood up.
Corrosion or damage due to moisture is one of the main reasons for failure. Corrosion can enter through the wiring harness and moisture can enter by a failure in the seals in the PCM itself. This happens over a period of time (5 to 10 years) due to exposure to the elements.
The alternator could be generating an AC voltage spike due to bad diode(s) or supply Voltage
View attachment 182796
Overloads.
I recommend bench-testing the alternator for voltage output and AC voltage ripple.
Thermal stress due to excessive heat and excessive vibration that causes sensitive parts to fail.
Bronco was jump started on reverse polarity.
Connector pin damage or corrosion,
Other internals:
broken tracks,
cold solder joints,
short circuit,
thermal stress due to excessive heat and excessive vibration that causes sensitive parts to fail,
Overheated PC,.
Bad Intel 8061 chip or bad Intel 8361 memory chip,
Bad Internal Voltage Regulator, see Wayback Machine by absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yo
As BroncoJoe19 advised on the parts replacement, see 87-96 capacitor Repair Kit @ Amazon.com

Here are some PCM KILLER perpetrators and other causes:

Smell around the PCM. If it smells like dead fish, it's bad.
Look for PCM printed circuit board burn marks around leaking capacitors, resistors.
View attachment 182797
For example, see Old leaky capacitors in swapped EEC and no more codes by jowens1126
Water damage from cowl leaks, ESPECIALLY if you you have wet carpet or mat near driver kick panel; or on PCM Connector due to a bad hood seal near cowl panel, viewable with hood up.
Corrosion or damage due to moisture is one of the main reasons for failure. Corrosion can enter through the wiring harness and moisture can enter by a failure in the seals in the PCM itself. This happens over a period of time (5 to 10 years) due to exposure to the elements.
The alternator could be generating an AC voltage spike due to bad diode(s) or supply Voltage
View attachment 182796
Overloads.
I recommend bench-testing the alternator for voltage output and AC voltage ripple.
Thermal stress due to excessive heat and excessive vibration that causes sensitive parts to fail.
Bronco was jump started on reverse polarity.
Connector pin damage or corrosion,
Other internals:
broken tracks,
cold solder joints,
short circuit,
thermal stress due to excessive heat and excessive vibration that causes sensitive parts to fail,
Overheated PC,.
Bad Intel 8061 chip or bad Intel 8361 memory chip,
Bad Internal Voltage Regulator, see Wayback Machine by absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M)
i really appreciate the thorough insight. as pictured there is definetely leaking capacitors. i think the computer mightve overheated several times, arizona summers are unforgiving on anything. i dont know of any electronocs shops in my area, so i bought a rockauto replacement, hopefully that will fix it.

Super Moderator
Yo La3012c,
Just in event you may need a Repair shop, consider:
AES Modules @ AES Modules | Rebuilt & Reman Control Modules

ProTech Auto Systems @ Ford Car Computer Repairs for ECU, PCU & TCU

Member @jermil01 wrote, "In the past I've bought an EEC from these guys before. Good service and fast turn around. Plug in your info and you'll quickly find what you're looking for: Price is pretty reasonable.."
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8L V8 Gas ECM/PCM

G7 Computers @ How Does This Work?
Member gedebohls wrote, " i went with sending my ecu to G7 computers in Canandaigua, NY, the reason i went this way is because i send them my unit, i get my unit checked out 100% and they will then fix as needed. I like this bc I will know for sure if my ECU is or was bad, etc, and I get my ECU back fixed. the cost is $225 plus shipping one way, if nothing is wrong with my ECU i get 100% refund. Once i get my ECU back or get an update from G7 I will update."
Update; "I sent the EEC to be rebuilt by G7 computer and they quickly sent the EEC back saying they replaced a faulty resistor. When the EEC came back I still had the same issues with the bronco , and we spent a lot of time re testing and checking things to only determine that the only possible issue was a bad EEC, so back to G7 Computer. This time they determined a faulty Main processing chip, and stated that the damage was to extensive to replace the main chip, I get it; it is a computer sometimes it is hard to pin point an issue when it is intermittent. My question is; is it just not cost smart for a company like G7 to not want to replace the main chip, or can you just not replace the main chip? So in short G7 sent the EEC back to me and will credit $225 of the $250 saying they get a diagnostic fee of $25, which I also get , "Well sort of get". "
@ A 94 with a Gremlin

A neighbor used Module Master (208) 892-0764 Or toll free at (888) 892-0764
Has had good results!

A long time Ford mechanic wrote, "The main causes of failure is water in the PCM connector or capacitor failure inside of the PCM. Make sure you have enough Di-Electric Grease in the plug to waterproof it."

Absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M) wrote in his "install a chip" article @ Fuel Injection Technical Library 禄 install a chip
"DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE TAPE TO SEAL THE COMPUTER. TOO MUCH TAPE WILL CAUSE THE COMPTUER TO OVERHEAT!" The tape and a piece of foam was to be places around the chip J3 port, but can be applied to the case itself.

In an old ford truck forum that is now off line. "The water leakage may be due to the PCM connector cover not seating completely and water leaking down from the cowl panel grille (cowl top vent panel) area."
Check Hood Cowl Rubber seal.

Good fortune!

Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
I had a bad TPS and had about the same symptoms, except for the fuel pump not shutting off. The TPS is an easy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts