Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just joined the forum. Seems like a great little forum to me. Any-who on to my situation. I recently purchased at 1989 Ford Bronco eddie Bauer edition 302. When i first went to buy the vehicle the guy told me that it would not start saying that the wires were old and was a wiring issue. Well after some time I figured out the battery was bad, Ignition coil and distributor. It would start up when i had the jumper cables hooked up to my car but the lights in the cabin were always dim not only that only some of the guages on the dash would work to. (Not getting enough power to everything?). Once you unhooked the jumper cables it would turn over but not turn over on its own. My father said there might be wire short somewhere from the battery to the harness which I am unsure of. Which he said could be a nightmare or something simple. Not only that but the alternator doesn't get enough voltage to actually kick on. My question is if these had problems with wiring issues? Bad connections? common bad connection issues? Or is something drawing power?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. The bronco was hit in the front left bumper. The body work was replaced but the wiring and such was just moved around. Also I was wondering if it could be a fusable link? I will do a more thorough check tmmrw of the wires.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
594 Posts
Inspect and clean or replace all grounds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inspect and clean or replace all grounds
Yup! I did notice that the guy did forget/didnt hook up one of the grounds to the hood. But other than that i dont think it would cause that much of an issue. And another ground that goes to the engine. I will hook them up to tmmrw and clean then and see what happens!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know if it's just mine or not, but mine won't run without the battery connected. So, if your battery is bad, it won't stay running when the jumper cables are disconnected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it's just mine or not, but mine won't run without the battery connected. So, if your battery is bad, it won't stay running when the jumper cables are disconnected.
The battery is fine. It's a newer one... the volts are fine. It's nothing to do with the battery. Has something to do with a wire short or bad connection from the battery to mid way to the harness. Unless it's something worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update! So today I went to clean the wires and before I did that I went to look at the fusible links coming from the starter seloniod. And the green one I noticed when I felt it felt soft. So I tore it open to find that the wire inside was somehow melted in half. Which is the one that connects to the alternator. Or would this be a minor issue? (Which doesn't seem like it haha).Either way I'm going to replace the whole wiring there. Picture soon. My phone is unable to send them at the moment...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Update! I went to the junk yard yesterday and pulled out a new wiring harness out of the same type of bronco to put in mine. So I'm hoping that this will fix my short problem/connection issue. If not then the last place im going to is the ignition switch! Any thoughts? Takes me while to resize the pictures so once I do that I Will upload them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
594 Posts
Yup! I did notice that the guy did forget/didnt hook up one of the grounds to the hood. But other than that i dont think it would cause that much of an issue. And another ground that goes to the engine. I will hook them up to tmmrw and clean then and see what happens!
The ground to the engine is the primary ground for the motor, i believe. Might cause it to stall out, Was more concerned about corrosion on any of the grounds. With the ju,per cables attached you are providing higher amps to the system, possibly over coming a dirty ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts