Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is mike. I haven't really introduced myself yet. i have begun a sas on my 1990 bronco using information i have found here on full size bronco.
i am in the middle of the swap so i will post some pics of where i am at.. any advise you guys can give would be great soo here it goes.

the truck before

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
today i swapped in the sterling forgot to take any pics while i was working but i got the truck sitting on its own weight less the steering, brakes and driveshafts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Any pics of the shackle angle, and pinion angle? What did you do about the shackle hanger itself? If I recall, the original owner of the axles cut the original hangers right?
Difficult to tell, but there appears to be some clearance issues with the inverted "T" style steering. Are you going to keep that style, or go directly to crossover?
Ride height looks great. You should be pleased with the results.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
where do you live in hawaii? i went to kauai for my honeymoon and me and the wife were ready to move on the spot. my only stipulation is there has to be good wheeling somewhere? just picked up the latest issue of crawl and it looks like there are some pretty good sized rocks on maui...you are so lucky to live in paradise!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any pics of the shackle angle, and pinion angle? What did you do about the shackle hanger itself? If I recall, the original owner of the axles cut the original hangers right?
Difficult to tell, but there appears to be some clearance issues with the inverted "T" style steering. Are you going to keep that style, or go directly to crossover?
Ride height looks great. You should be pleased with the results.
her is a pic of the front shackle angle. i found a pair of 350 spring hangers at a local junkyard for 100 bucks. the steering does bump the passenger side spring just before full lock when compressed. crossover steering is next on the shopping list.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where do you live in hawaii? i went to kauai for my honeymoon and me and the wife were ready to move on the spot. my only stipulation is there has to be good wheeling somewhere? just picked up the latest issue of crawl and it looks like there are some pretty good sized rocks on maui...you are so lucky to live in paradise!
i live on the big island.. its nice up here a lot bigger than kauai.. west side has some good trails. big open lava fields for miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i decided to drive my truck home from the shop yesterday and wow does this thing have a lot of wobbles shakes and vibrations!! i think i experienced what everyone calls the death wobble when i hit 45 on my way home last night the whole truck shook like hell and i had to come to a complete stop before it went away. i just finished checking the alignment and found my tires were half an inch toed out. so i adjusted for 1/8 toe in and added a steering stabilizer. i think i solved the death wobble but i still have a vibration from about 10 to 20 mph any slower or faster and it goes away

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i forgot to mention this thing is bouncy so bouncy its hard to drive. any suggestions on how to mount the front shocks?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
i forgot to mention this thing is bouncy so bouncy its hard to drive. any suggestions on how to mount the front shocks?
Most guys use F250 shock mounts. As far as the wobble goes, did you replace the wearable parts (Kingpin, TREs, ect)? Have you checked your caster?
You might also consider adding a Trac bar.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Hard to tell with the supplied pictures but your Caster looks off. It will never drive nice until you get that close.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most guys use F250 shock mounts. As far as the wobble goes, did you replace the wearable parts (Kingpin, TREs, ect)? Have you checked your caster?
You might also consider adding a Trac bar.
all the steering components are new just a little rusty because they were lying around for so long before the build.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts