Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i have searched for i dont know how long and a lot of posts have somethings similar to my problems but not quite the same!!

Alright, first off i can't start her without spraying starting fluid into the intake manifold, then she starts up just fine and runs good. Oh and that is cold and warmed up.

Also, after she is running for a few min she jumps up to between 1800 and 2500 rpms and stays there, cant get it to drop???

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
start checkin stuff, starter, clean your fuel injectors, make sure it has sufficient oil pressure. not sure about the rpm's tho. hope that helps.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Pull codes.

I bet tps

KC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull codes.

I bet tps

KC
I was thinkin tps, but how do i pull codes? I just got this thing, the check engine light isint on???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
help!!!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,196 Posts
If its not your TPS then it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Take a can of carb cleaner, when your RPM's are at the 1800 - 2500 range and start to spray it around your intake manifold, vacuum lines and see if the idle will come down. If you hit a spot where you have a leak, then the engine will slow down. If it does then you have discover a problem that needs to be addressed. Hope this helps.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Did you pull codes yet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright heres what i got, im assuming that once i change my TPS ill be good!

KOEO
23- Closed throttle TPS voltage higher or lower than expected.

CM
53- TPS circuit has intermittently failed above maximum 4.5 volts.
63- TPS circuit has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts.

And those are the only codes i had!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Idle control motor?
Idle air control (motor) Its a little solinoid mounted on the side of the trottle body that controls the idle of the motor.

If it went bad, it can cause a no idle/crappy idle.

From the codes you pulled, I would almost definatly say it is the TPS, but its your money. Dunno what one costs either.

KC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idle air control (motor) Its a little solinoid mounted on the side of the trottle body that controls the idle of the motor.

If it went bad, it can cause a no idle/crappy idle.

From the codes you pulled, I would almost definatly say it is the TPS, but its your money. Dunno what one costs either.

KC
Oh, i know what your talkin about now, my idle is fine once its running, it just jumps up, but i got a new TPS last night and ill be putting in today.

PS TPS only 35$ at advance auto

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i changed the TPS and the check engine light in on now, it wasnt before. Its a brand new TPS.
I pulled the codes and got
KOEO code
63- TPS circuit has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts.

I dont know what this means???
Is the TPS that i got bad or somethin??
I tried to reset the computer and it came back.
The engine is runnin 10 times better and it dosent idle hi after it warms up. It doesnt need starting fluid to start now either.
So all my problems are fixed but the check engine light is on now???
Any suggestions?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I think you may have to "set" the new TPS for it to clear the code, but I am unsure, might take a look in the haynes for that endge.

KC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you may have to "set" the new TPS for it to clear the code, but I am unsure, might take a look in the haynes for that endge.

KC
really, i looked in the manual when i was trying to locate the tps and found nothing... i dunno know...
anyone know what i need to do???

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
What's your new TPS reading at closed throttle? Should be just under 1.0v. It's not that critical on the later EEC-IV's, but I figure it can't hurt to have it right around .90-.98v. That was an old trick from the mustang guys that supposedly gave better throttle response.

Where'd you get the TPS from... and did it have the elongated holes, or just standard holes?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts