Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1845481622.html

I went and looked at it today. It ran real good, started right up. Very little blow by when I opened the oil fill cap while it was running. He said he checked the glow plugs and they were all good. Transmission shifts real good, feel tight and goes into all the gears perfectly. Clutch feels good too. New batteries. Body is in decent shape, rust around the rear wheel wells, floors are pretty solid. 4x4 works, has manual hubs. Downside is the rear tank leaks. The steering is pretty sloppy but that's common I guess. Interior is decent, manual windows and locks. Basically an XL model though it says "Custom". Says it has all new brakes, but they feel spongy so either it needs to be bled more or it has master cylinder/booster problems. Nothing rattles on it or makes any noises. The highest I'd like to go though is $1500 because it is old, and it's not in THAT great of shape and it's been sitting for a while, and he only used it on his farm for a short while. Some insight would be helpful. I definitely liked it though, that ZF5 behind a diesel kicks ass.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
That rust is just going to grow so keep that in mind. What are you going to use this truck for?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That rust is just going to grow so keep that in mind. What are you going to use this truck for?
Yea, everything has rust here though so there is no way around it. :whiteflag

I just really like the old diesels, I need something else to bang around in while I can fix up the Bronco (and I can't stand little econo box cars). I also really miss my old F250 which I sold to a friend cause he needed a vehicle bad and I decided to help him out, but he ended up wrecking it within a couple months of having it and didn't take care of it, otherwise I'd still have it. I didn't need the money and wasn't looking to sell it. But I found out that having a pickup truck definitely has its advantages once you own one.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Yea, everything has rust here though so there is no way around it. :whiteflag

I just really like the old diesels, I need something else to bang around in while I can fix up the Bronco (and I can't stand little econo box cars). I also really miss my old F250 which I sold to a friend cause he needed a vehicle bad and I decided to help him out, but he ended up wrecking it within a couple months of having it and didn't take care of it, otherwise I'd still have it. I didn't need the money and wasn't looking to sell it. But I found out that having a pickup truck definitely has its advantages once you own one.
Well keep in mind that a diesel is definitely more costly then a gasser, everybody told me that but until routine maintenance came up I wasn't aware of the price difference. If you can get it for $1500 then I would, but don't expect to put a 40' trailer behind it and tow well :toothless.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well keep in mind that a diesel is definitely more costly then a gasser, everybody told me that but until routine maintenance came up I wasn't aware of the price difference. If you can get it for $1500 then I would, but don't expect to put a 40' trailer behind it and tow well :toothless.
Do the IDI's have any real major issues? Not that familiar with them, only know a little bit. I figure since they're more primitive than the PowerStroke it may have less things to go wrong. I have read they do decent on fuel as well, like 15-17mpg.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Do the IDI's have any real major issues? Not that familiar with them, only know a little bit. I figure since they're more primitive than the PowerStroke it may have less things to go wrong. I have read they do decent on fuel as well, like 15-17mpg.
They're pretty simple, most common issue is hard starting. Mechanical fueling so not much to go wrong there. I would expect that kind of mileage if its been maintained well. My truck will pull 18 in town and 22 highway.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I saw that on craigslist the other day. Check the rear cab mounts, it has enough rust elsewhere that they might be junk, that would be a deal breaker

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
How are brake lines? They may leak if they are spongy. Also how long has it been sitting? The 93 I got sat for over a year before I was allowed to touch it. By that time it needed new brake lines all the way around, it needs new injector seals, needed a new fuel return line, and to top it off the front tank and rear tank leak. The front much worse. I am dropping both tanks on mine and see if they are patchable if not then I will be looking for new poly tanks instead.

Oh and last thought, when was the clutch replaced last? OE on the 93 7.3 turbo had the clutch springs on the flywheel which will shatter in cold weather if any water gets on it. I know from experience. The PO of the truck shattered the clutch during the winter in which I had to drive the truck to the shop for them since they didn't want to pay to have it towed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are brake lines? They may leak if they are spongy. Also how long has it been sitting? The 93 I got sat for over a year before I was allowed to touch it. By that time it needed new brake lines all the way around, it needs new injector seals, needed a new fuel return line, and to top it off the front tank and rear tank leak. The front much worse. I am dropping both tanks on mine and see if they are patchable if not then I will be looking for new poly tanks instead.

Oh and last thought, when was the clutch replaced last? OE on the 93 7.3 turbo had the clutch springs on the flywheel which will shatter in cold weather if any water gets on it. I know from experience. The PO of the truck shattered the clutch during the winter in which I had to drive the truck to the shop for them since they didn't want to pay to have it towed.
The lines don't leak and they looked good. The guy doesn't know when the clutch was done last. He never did much of anything to it, just used it around his farm a little bit here and there but said he uses his F150 more. All I know is it was grabby as hell.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I bought the truck. After driving it around, it's a pretty damn sound truck other than the little piddly crap it has wrong with it. Mechanically sound though. Cab corners are fine upon checking them over again, rockers are solid, there is a little rot hole through the floor right up by where the floor switch for the high beams are. Can easily enough be fixed though. Other than that the floors are solid, frame has typical surface rust, core support is actually quite well for a truck up here. I think I figured out the brake problem, I think the drums just need to be adjusted since when I bled them, only a tiny bit of air came out, mostly solid streams. I think the shoes just need to be adjusted. The parking brake goes all the way to the floor before it starts to engage which is another sign of it, but it does work. The transmission shifts beautifully other than it is kind of "clicky" or "notchy" I guess as some would say, but that seems to be how they are. I kind of like that cause it has a good positive feel to when you are in gear.

What would be the best fluid of a ZF5? I want to do a fluid change on it since it shifts good and I want to keep it that way, so I want to take good care of it.

The truck is peppy as hell and you hardly need your foot on the throttle to drive the thing around. It does great on fuel, on the way home I got around 18-19mpg.

Also, when did Ford start using the free-floating 10.25 on these? I notice mine isn't, the giveaway being it doesn't have the big hubs sticking out of the rear wheels. I kind of miss those they worked good as steps. :toothless

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
Plane ole ATF will do that ZF S5-42 right.

Semi float 10.25 came on the lower GVWR trucks.

Adrianspeeder

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Sound like a good deal. are your planning to do a diesel swp later?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts