Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I read all of the posts on hubs, but noone seems to address how to get the 3-nut hub off. I've got the cap off, but then there is a secondary aluminum cover that doesn't come off easily. Do I need a special tool? Is there a pin holding it? I can take a picture if that would help.

(Not interested in coverting to manual hubs since I never go 4X4...) :brownbag

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yes pics please. I imagine you need to get out the retaining ring. If you are not replacing them what are you taking them apart for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh, you're right. Won't bother posting a pic. Gotta take out that retaining ring...

I'm not replacing because I think the bearings went out. Weird thing happened today. I was driving and as I stepped on the brake the left front inner shoe was pushed out of its place and dropped to the road (luckily I was getting into my driveway and quickly used the parking brake to stop. There is about a 3/4" of play in my rotor. I'm thinking it is the bearings or the shop I had the rotors turned at a couple months ago didn't tighten it on good enough. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yup. Sounds like your whole wheel hub assembly is about to fall off. Good thing you found it when you did or it could have been a real mess. They probably didn't torque down the hub nut correctly. Give em' a call and tell them what happened.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Wow, that sounds firmiliar.
Same thing happened to me last month.
If it went that bad, you need========

A new hub,
new bearings/inner and outer
New spindle. You will see why when you get the hub apart
Spindle nut kit.
and possibly a new caliper

As for not replacing the hubs to manual.

You will save money purchasing a pair of manual warns.
A new auto hub is very expensive.

Have fun either way though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts