Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m changing out the spark plugs on my bronco and I am noticing that the old original ones that it had, the threaded end is way longer than the new one’s auto zone sold me. I gave auto zone the correct information about my bronco. I was wondering if this is normal, or if the new spark plugs need to be the same exact size as the old original ones. The new spark plugs have the correct gap.

These are the ones I bought.

Also how many spark plugs do I need? I bought 8 thinking that’s enough.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,259 Posts
Copper core NGKs or original motorcraft would be better I think. I've read things in here about the iridium plugs that weren't reassuring.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,769 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Rod,
You're correct. The 5.0 needs eight spark plugs.
Check your Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal; it's on the topof radiator core support or hood. It contains the Vacuum Diagram & spark plug numberand gap.
It looks like this;

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just an opinion, but I would not put iridium plugs in a Bronco. Sure, they'd work, but not noticibly better than copper core NGK or similar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would avoid anything iridium/platinum, it makes the ignition system work harder. Copper is the least resistive conductor

EDIT: I went with NGK made in japan copper core. Autolites are made in china, for what its worth

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I would avoid anything iridium/platinum, it makes the ignition system work harder. Copper is the least resistive conductor

EDIT: I went with NGK made in japan copper core. Autolites are made in china, for what its worth
That sucks. When did Autolite move production to China? I picked up 8 #25's last summer and they were still being made in Mexico.

Wound up having to use longer #764's with the GT40 heads, but never saw the boxes to see where they were manufactured.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That sucks. When did Autolite move production to China? I picked up 8 #25's last summer and they were still being made in Mexico.

Wound up having to use longer #764's with the GT40 heads, but never saw the boxes to see where they were manufactured.
I wondered the same thing because the box I just bought said Mexico too.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Bought 2 four packs on amazon, showed up made in china. Went with NGKs as i refuse to support that country
uhhh Amazon and ebay are counterfeit spark plugs. Buy from an authorized retailer such as rockauto who gets their motorcraft parts from the same warehouses as the ford dealers.

Autolite and Motorcraft is all I run in Fords. Autolite came be so cheap with rebates that Ive been paid to install the plugs in my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,388 Posts
Just some general Spark Plug, FYI. Believe it or not that's up to you but this is all "FACT".

Just to set the record straight on the term Copper Plugs which should read Copper "CORE" Plugs. There is no such animal as Copper Plugs like there is Standard Plugs, Platinum Plugs or Iridium Plugs. See below for definition of each:

BTW if you look at Platinum, Iridium and Unobtanium plugs the center core is almost always Copper, the only place they are special metal is on the tips, the ground electrodes are usually Nickel and some special metal or just Nickel. The same goes for Cheapo Copper plugs, the tips are not Copper but usually Nickel and the ground electrodes are usually Nickel, with the Copper as the core. The Standard Plugs are always Nickle core, Nickle tip and Nickle ground electrode.

Being the Anal Engamaneer that I am I must shed some light here!

Copper's Melting point is ---- 1084.62°C, 1984.32°F, 1357.77 K - Copper is not used externally on a Spark plug it is only used inside the Spark plug as a Copper Core, with Nickle on the Tips and Ground electrode. These are the Cheap Copper core plugs mentioned on this site.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nickel's Melting point is ------ 1455°C, 2651°F, 1728 K -------------------------------- used on the Spark plug exterior Tip and or Ground electrode with Copper core or Nickel core.

Platinum's Melting point is --- 1768.2°C, 3214.8°F, 2041.4 K --------------------------- used on the Spark plug exterior Tip and or Ground electrode with Copper core, always.

Iridium's Melting point is ------ 2446°C, 4435°F, 2719 K (it is very brittle though)---- used on the Spark plug exterior Tip and Ground electrode with Copper core, always.
The difference in all the plugs described above is the harder the material the more Expensive the plug and the longer it will last without having to be changed (THEORETICALLY).. The performance difference will be un-noticeable between them, as long as they are installed correctly and haven't been tampered with as the harder material plugs especially Iridium are way more prone to breaking a Tip. It all depends on how often you are wanting to change the plugs and how much you are wanting to pay.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Good point as you don't want to be shoving your gapping tool into a plug that is set at factory for gap and ruin the platinum or iridium tip ruining the life of the plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.