Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up, people

i have a 1990 bronco

my bronco takes for ever to warm up it idles high and low, i have to keep my foot on the gas pedal so it wont turn off, my battery/rpm gauge go wacky
when i let go of the gas pedal my truck chokes and turns off, i have a new
battery and alternator, and i just replaced the gas filter..any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
First thing you should do is pull the codes off the ECU.. You'll get a lot more help from people here if you pull the codes.. Makes the troubleshooting easier and will pinpoint the problem...

There are a couple ways of doing it.. You can pull them by your check engine light.. Here's a link on how to do that

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Or you can go to kragen/shucks/checker and spend 29 bux to buy their code reader.. Makes it super simple and a lot faster.. Here's a link to the same one I just bought.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3389&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=3145

Like I said.. pull the codes.. You won't find much help here without them..

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Spectre said:
First thing you should do is pull the codes off the ECU.. You'll get a lot more help from people here if you pull the codes.. Makes the troubleshooting easier and will pinpoint the problem...

There are a couple ways of doing it.. You can pull them by your check engine light.. Here's a link on how to do that

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Or you can go to kragen/shucks/checker and spend 29 bux to buy their code reader.. Makes it super simple and a lot faster.. Here's a link to the same one I just bought.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3389&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=3145

Like I said.. pull the codes.. You won't find much help here without them..
That Equus reader is the same exact one I use.......the only thing I did also buy the extension cable for it so as to make the KOER test MUCH MUCH more easy.
I did a oil and filter change today.....greased all the Zerk fitings......and every time I do this I also check for codes. Happy to report I got 111's from all three tests.....KOEO, CM, & KOER......very happy bout that!!!!!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
He'll still get help without pulling codes first. We're not that bad. First: pull codes. 2nd: Try cleaning your IAC. If it is the IAC more than likely you won't get any codes for it so clean it anyway before you go past step 2.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Very true Bob.. It's not that bad, but I do have to say, everytime I've asked for help there's always a few people asking for nothing but codes. :)

Also very true about the IAC..

if you clean the IAC and nothing happens then go for the codes..

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Streetgang said:
That Equus reader is the same exact one I use.......the only thing I did also buy the extension cable for it so as to make the KOER test MUCH MUCH more easy.
got a part # for the extension cable and where I can buy it? I haven't seen it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah ...i searched for user that had the same or similiar problem, before i posted anything, i saw a few things..that i think i should check before
taking it to the shop, let me know if i missed any..
clean trottle body
and air bypass
clean iac valve
check for any leaks
replace tfi???
look for codes?
did i miss anything?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Don't replace your TFI if you don't need to. Your symptoms don't sound like TFI to me but you could pull it off and have it tested. At least then you'll know for sure if it good or bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there a difference between IAC valve and Air Bypass?

guszbuzz said:
yeah ...i searched for user that had the same or similiar problem, before i posted anything, i saw a few things..that i think i should check before
taking it to the shop, let me know if i missed any..
clean trottle body
and air bypass
clean iac valve
check for any leaks
replace tfi???
look for codes?
did i miss anything?
Is there a difference between the Air Bypass and IAC valve? I'm having a similar problem and am wondering.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts