Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Bronco, 351w, E4OD, Eddie Bauer
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previous owner butchered my dash when installing a backup camera and aftermarket stereo.

Is it easy to replace these dash pads?

Also a lot of the plastic surrounding the dash clips for things like the radio, AC control and light switch have been ripped out.
Any tips on how to fix this? Was maybe gonna buy new clips and JB weld them into the dash.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,610 Posts
Installing dash pad is as easy as finding the dozen or so screws holding it in place, and u can find a new center bezel to go around the radio a heater controls ect relatively easily.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
170 Posts
The dash pad in this body style is not an easy replacement. It has five bolts made into the backside of the pad. The bolts extend through the plastic dash and have a nut holding them in place. About the only way to access these five bolts / nuts, without breaking or tearing up something else, is to lower the dash and access the dash pad nuts from the backside. Not an easy chore. I have been told that lowering the steering column is almost a must.

My '89 XLT has a crack in the dash pad. I purchased a replacement pad about a year ago, and still haven't gotten up the nerve to tackle removing the dash from its mounts just to replace the pad. Since this is my daily driver I can't afford to disable it for more than one day at a time. And since almost everything I do to this truck takes a lot more time than I planned for, I just keep putting it off. One of these days . . .

Best of luck to you, my friend! Patience is a virtue! (hope I spelled that correctly)

TB

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
You could always go with something like this instead that doesn't require taking the old dash pad out.. "Ford Bronco 1989-1990, Dash Cover by Coverlay®. Refurbish your vehicle's interior with a new stylish upgrade that installs in minutes and lasts a lifetime. Made of ABS plastic, this dash board cover will not crack or split even under extreme conditions"
more details on - Coverlay® - Dash Cover

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could always go with something like this instead that doesn't require taking the old dash pad out.. "Ford Bronco 1989-1990, Dash Cover by Coverlay®. Refurbish your vehicle's interior with a new stylish upgrade that installs in minutes and lasts a lifetime. Made of ABS plastic, this dash board cover will not crack or split even under extreme conditions"
more details on - Coverlay® - Dash Cover
Good Morning BroncMom - Thank you for this information. I like that dash cover. I think I will try that instead of taking my dash apart to install the dash pad. The one shown is the correct color for my truck.

BTW - how did you get you truck information to show below your Avatar? Mine used to show like that until the new format was instituted, then it went away.

TB

·
Registered
170 Posts
Installing dash pad is as easy as finding the dozen or so screws holding it in place, and u can find a new center bezel to go around the radio a heater controls ect relatively easily.
I agree with your comment about replacing the dash pad as it applies to your truck - I have replaced the dash pad on my '82 XLT Lariat once, and have to replace it again due to falling tree limb crushing the top, going through the windshield and puncturing the dash pad.

Just wish the '89 was that easy.

TB

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Good Morning BroncMom - Thank you for this information. I like that dash cover. I think I will try that instead of taking my dash apart to install the dash pad. The one shown is the correct color for my truck.

BTW - how did you get you truck information to show below your Avatar? Mine used to show like that until the new format was instituted, then it went away.

TB
That's awesome it's the right color 👍 if you're using the mobile platform (on ur phone) to get your truck info under your avatar click your profile pic, go to profile, scroll right to 'about' then put it in the about me section.
Screenshot_2020-07-04-18-31-14.png

·
Registered
1990 Bronco, 351w, E4OD, Eddie Bauer
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like the dash cover idea. But my dash has become super brittle and basically all the little square holes that hold the clips have broken off. So I think a junk yard dash is what I’ll need to get to replace it. Unless anyone has come up with a way to repair those holes that hold the clips.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's awesome it's the right color 👍 if you're using the mobile platform (on ur phone) to get your truck info under your avatar click your profile pic, go to profile, scroll right to 'about' then put it in the about me section.
View attachment 162770
Thank you.
TB

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like the dash cover idea. But my dash has become super brittle and basically all the little square holes that hold the clips have broken off. So I think a junk yard dash is what I’ll need to get to replace it. Unless anyone has come up with a way to repair those holes that hold the clips.
I bought a dash shell for a '91 Bronco from a local junk yard. Paid $125.00. A lot of work involved in removing the old one and installing the replacement. Just take your time and don't get frustrated! Don't try to do it when you are in a time crunch and have to be in a hurry.
TB

Reactions: pascalroberts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts