Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW PICS PG 2

Thread Update: Picked up the truck today, scroll down for details

Ok, so it is well known that I dont tend to keep my trucks more than 3 months at a time. I like to sell/trade, keeps me from getting bored with the same thing all the time. I try to always trade UP, though I have made some bad trades in the past.

Anyway, picking this up tomorow:

1990 Dodge Ram 150 4X4
Club Cab, Long-bed
360 V8 TBI
Auto/OD
120K original miles on it
CLEAN, Almost no rust on the truck at all, save for 2 spots of surface rust about the size of a half dollar.
Interior is just as nice.

------------------------

Meeting the guy tomorow at 2PM, trading him my 1990 F150 for it. I am keeping the brand new rims/tires, and they are going on the Dodge, since it has the same bolt pattern, and he is putting those rims/tires on the dodge now, onto the Ford.

I think it is a good trade for sure, considering the rust on my F150. In Michigan it is very hard to find a truck as clean as this Dodge. And it fits 33's stock with little to no rubbing, not to mention a solid front axle. Should be a fun truck to have for a few months before I trade or sell it off.

I will post more pics, etc. tomorow after I pick it up.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I like those trucks. I had one and my favorite thing was the interior. It was old styled, yet still kinda new, but not too new. Comfy yet not too comfy. A good cross between a work truck interior and a DD interior. Know what I mean...?

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like those trucks. I had one and my favorite thing was the interior. It was old styled, yet still kinda new, but not too new. Comfy yet not too comfy. A good cross between a work truck interior and a DD interior. Know what I mean...?
I definently know what you mean, Mike. I love the Dodge Interior from this body style. It still has the "3-hole" guage layout, and looks like a good old work truck, yet it has captains chairs with folding armrests stuffed full of padding and a huge wooden center console with cupholders and storage space.

The part that will be really weird is the TCase shifter being way on the passenger side of the truck, instead of right near my leg.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Looks like you have superwinch hubs, however do they have two sets of wheel bearings per side or unit bearings on the front 44?

I am curious if the rear axle in there is superior or inferior to the 8.8?

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you have superwinch hubs, however do they have two sets of wheel bearings per side or unit bearings on the front 44?

I am curious if the rear axle in there is superior or inferior to the 8.8?
I am not sure how to answer either of those questions at this time.. I am not familiar with these older style Dodge's at all yet, however I will know alot more very soon, I pick up the truck tomorow.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If I can remember correctly it should be a 2 style wheel bearings. No Unit bearings like they are now. As far as the rear axle goes I have no idea.

Whats your plans for it. It is a good looking truck.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats your plans for it. It is a good looking truck.
Not sure... don't really have any plans for it right now. I was looking to trade for a mustang, then I got a few offers but they were all beat to hell. Got a few truck offers, and then this came along.

I only chose this mainly because of the clean body. Runs and drives great, so I will DD it for a little while, then probably sell it or trade it for something else.

Unless I fall in love with the thing, I dont imagine having it for more than a few months.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like Chrysler 9.25" in the rear, and D44 in the front.

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Looks like Chrysler 9.25" in the rear, and D44 in the front.
you caught me before I could say it. I've seen a couple people running 9.25s in the rear of their trucks with bigger tires, seems like a decent axle.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
looks good, but thought you were keeping the f-150

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
My Dad's '87 Ramcharger has the same axles D44/9.25", 360 [carb'd] with the 727 auto. He's towed the race car all over Georgia with that thing. Oh and he was running BFG ATs 33x12.5 on 15x8s with no lift. :thumbup

Real good truck, if this is your first Dodge with that drivetrain I bet you don't want to get rid of it. :toothless Wish I could find something like that down here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It looks good. my buddy had a 87 dodge ramcharger with a 318ci in it with hardly no rust on it until a drunk driver hit it while it was parked. :whiteflag Got totaled. But I dont know why I kinda liked the F150 better, maybe cause its a Ford:shrug:scratchhe but good deal tho

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks good, but thought you were keeping the f-150
You guys are funny.

I don't keep anything! only except for the Bronco. If I see a good deal that I can trade for, then whatever I have at the time, I will try and trade.

and IMO, this is a very good trade for that F150.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Let me ask you a question, why dont you drive the Bronco in the winter? It has 4x4, and I know you guys get a $hitload of snow...

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me ask you a question, why dont you drive the Bronco in the winter? It has 4x4, and I know you guys get a $hitload of snow...
Because it's too clean. We get a lot of snow for sure, but along with that comes an assload of salt. Salt=Rust, hence the reason it's so hard to find an older truck that isn't rusty.

I like to keep my Bronco that way.

Besides, why would I drive the bronco anyway? Thats what winter-beaters are for.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, Picked up the truck today at 2P and got home by 5P, she cruised the highway beautifully. Motor runs excellent, shifts good, everything works inside. Extremely clean, too. It is missing the headliner, and has no rear seats either.

Does put out a puff of smoke when you start it up, but not too bad.

Here's what happened:

Left my house with a buddy of mine, and met the guy with the Dodge at his friends tire shop. We sat around, shootin the shit for a while, looking the trucks over, etc. When we were both satisfied the trade was going to go through, we drove the trucks into the bays. The guys at the tire shop had the tires swapped in under 10 minutes. The Dodge had 33's on it with no rubbing at all, however they were 10.5's with 15x8" rims. My 33's were 12.5's with 15x10 inch rims.

Sure enough, no way would my tires clear the fenders of the Dodge... They rubbed BAD, even at 1/4 turn... I knew I couldn't drive the truck home like that. So went back in the shop and the guy was real cool. He sold me some 265's with about 60% tread for $20/tire and installed them free. Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, however I need to figure out what I'm going to do. Either sell my brand new BFG's and buy narrower ones, or cut the fenders.

I don't want to cut the fenders because the biggest reason I made the trade was how nice the body is on the Dodge. So looks like I'll be putting the tires up for sale really soon.

Other then that the truck is a strong runner for sure. I will post new pics tomorow, it's to dark out right now.

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
that 360 will run forever. like I said mine sat for 9 years and then fired up with a new battery and some fresh fuel

1 - 20 of 46 Posts