Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here b/c it's really not a Bronco question.
I have a '90 F450 rollback. It sux in the snow. After last weeks record snowfall I was wondering how hard it would be to convert to 4wd. I have several self imposed issues and some concerns. The additional weight may stop me.

Anyway, it has a solid (beam)axle now. I pulled my 1990 sales brochure and if I understand it, 4wd was not an option (at least on the cab/chassis config). I thought for sure I had seen early 90s 4wd F450s.

My issues:
A) I have to retain the f450 10 bolt wheels
B) It currently has a driveshaft e-brake which I need to retain.

Questions,
1) would the SAS axle be a D60? ....like from the F350?
2) Is it an easy swap from the straight axle?
3) What would I have to modify on the original suspension. (leafs now)
4) Can I use my old hubs, rotors, calipers?
5) What transfer case?
6) Think I could keep my driveshaft brake?

I was just thinkin how cool it would be to be able to drive in the snow....and the $$$ I could make.
Thanks
J. R.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
measure the spacing between the pins on the leafs...down at the axle.... that will help you find a good donor axle with the right spring perch spacing...

a d60 would probably be okay... im not sure how much different the bearings/spindles/brakes are on the f450 to f350 stuff... but the d60 should be fine...

youll need a transfer case, many f350's had a drum stlye driveline ebrake on the back of the tcase housing... i can find out more about those if you would like...
rear driveshaft will need shortened and youll need a front d-shaft... also a 4wd tailhousing for the trans

i think a d60 would be fine... im not really sure though about 10 bolt wheel... i think there are 60 outers for them out there

others may have more help here...

dc

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
The factory ford superduty f 450 4wd is a dana 60 with different dually adapter for the 10 lug wheels. You may have a hieght issue due to the fact that your solid beam rises at the kingpins so you might be a few inches higher in the front with the 60. You might be able to get the hubs for yours because the chevy kodiac 6500 4wd uses a ford d 60 and it might be 8 on 6.5 lug pattern.
The best thing for you since you have the lenght is to get a divorced transfercase so you don't have to mess with the trans or driveline brake.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The factory ford superduty f 450 4wd is a dana 60 with different dually adapter for the 10 lug wheels. You may have a hieght issue due to the fact that your solid beam rises at the kingpins so you might be a few inches higher in the front with the 60. You might be able to get the hubs for yours because the chevy kodiac 6500 4wd uses a ford d 60 and it might be 8 on 6.5 lug pattern.
The best thing for you since you have the lenght is to get a divorced transfercase so you don't have to mess with the trans or driveline brake.
Thanks for the info! I was guessing it was a D60, but if I go looking I want to be sure. I didnt know the weight rating for it. A D60 under a F350 would be the same or different? (other than the 8 vs 10 lug hub) So the easiest thing would be for me to find an old F450 front axle.
Do you think they used a different set of front springs between the beam and the D60?
Do you know what transfer case the F450 4wd used?

Thanks for your input!!

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts