Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be buying a 90 FSB now it has a 302 auto The 302 has a loud knock coming from the bottom end, the guy selling it says that it is either a rod or spun bearing. My question is about putting a 351w in. From what I understand if I get a 351 computer out of a bronco with the same transmission thats in the one I may be buying then it is a direct swap minus exhaust crossover. Is this correct will I run in to any other problems or issues?

Thanks Joe

P.S. I have searched and want to make sure b4 any purchases

·
Registered
331 Posts
could just pull the oil pan and check bearings, could replace bearing from underneath yes?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is it to change the bearings? I still would probably want to go with the 351w for the extra torque and power.

·
Registered
331 Posts
im not saying dont go with the 351, and Im not familiar with ford internals (ive torn apart a fragged 302 once) but you might be able to change a bearing by dropping the pan... If it was to be a middle one I really think you could, but maybe not on the outers? somebody with more knowledge chime in here? It wouldnt be the easiest thing to do, but surely easier than a swap if it is possible... really I dont see that you have anything to lose, its screwed meow as it is, but if you could pull the pan and swap the bearing and start driving it meow while you collect the necessary stuff for the 351 swap? just throwin an idea out there...

·
Registered
331 Posts
and thats provided there isnt significant damage/scoring to crank... if it was shutdown immediately after knocking started (assuming its the bearing) then the bearing is prolly worn thin allowing the piston to tap the bottom of the head and your crank is prolly ok... this is the exact scenario that happened on my 77 TA, although I went with a total rebuild wanting more HP...

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks crash138 for the replies. Is there anyone that can answer (From what I understand if I get a 351 computer out of a bronco with the same transmission thats in the bronco that I may be buying, then it is a direct swap minus exhaust crossover. Is this correct will I run in to any other problems or issues?)? Will all the accessories like the pulleys and stuff fit? I know the distributor and wires won't but I will be doing the sixlitre tuneup on it which will replace those anyways. I just wan't to be sure b4 I buy anything.

Thank You
Joe

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well I bought the 90 bronco. After doing some more reading I see I need aflexplate so; I have a 1990 FSB with a 302 and AOD tranny. I found a 351 good deal. Correct me if I am wrong all I need is 351 flexplate and computer out of one with an AOD. -plug wires and distributor.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Be careful with that 351 it'll eat that AOD if you're not careful

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but I am getting a good bottom end for under $70. It needs cleaned up but still in good shape and the guy just wants it out of his garage. Plus if the AOD goes it just gives me a reason to get an EAOD. Does anyone know what I need to make the 351w work?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,062 Posts
Yeah but I am getting a good bottom end for under $70. It needs cleaned up but still in good shape and the guy just wants it out of his garage. Plus if the AOD goes it just gives me a reason to get an EAOD. Does anyone know what I need to make the 351w work?
Flexplate from a Crown Vic w/351 AOD, and a computer. The AOD trans is not computer controlled. Just be sure you have the AOD and not the E4OD.

Two ways to tell the tranny.

One, gear selector says P R N @ D 1 (@=OD and this means it came with an AOD)

or gear selector says P R N D 2 1 ( with on/off for OD on dash means E4OD)

Two, check the trans pan......

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I started it today took for a ride up down street and I heard a loud pop and oil is leaking down some hose underneath. I didn't have time to crawl under and see exactly where its coming from.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I guess I have the E40d the guy told me it was an AOD but I have the OD on the dash and PRND21. I will have to verify with looking under at the trans. pan

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the 90, 302 and AOD... E4od came out in 91 according to my haynes manual... doesnt mean that is what is in your truck though...

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
E4OD came out in '89. I am not sure it was available with the 302 then. May have been a 351 only thing. I had a 91 with a 302 ordered brand new with it.

tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts