Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a pretty nice 90 xlt sport for sale. They say 78k original miles (I haven't seen it yet only pics). I'm not sure but is this the 1st year for the OD trans?, not a good yr for this tranny, I believe. (It has the 351 engine). Also its pretty close to the 1st gen for fuel injection?, just wondering if its a odd year (hard to get ignition or fuel parts for?. Actually I don't mind the "brick" front end, actually prefer the dash over the later model.
Or should a guy wait & get the newer model, say a 96 or so, of course its going to cost more, but has the better trans, & reinforced body by the rain gutters apparently??? Thanks

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
I would pass, also unsure if you could validate that mileage on the 90 due to it being only 5 digit OD.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
A '96 5.8L truck would have the same trans as a '90: E4OD, which debuted in '89. And the '96 is MUCH harder to get (certain) parts for: harmonic balancer, misfire sensor, EEC, spindles, hubs, door mirrors... Not even the '96 came with rain gutter reinforcements, so you can plan on addressing that issue on ANY Bronco.

IMO, the mileage is irrelevant. If it has been parked and actually only has a few miles, it'll need a LOT of repairs because parking a vehicle is much harder on it than driving it. And I've seen 200Kmi trucks in worse shape than 300Kmi trucks, so it's just not a valid scale to judge by.

If you like the bricknose, more power to ya! :thumbup There's nothing special or unique about '90 trucks.
I agree with most of what Steve said. The E4OD isn't as good from the factory on a 90 as a 96 as the 96 will have updates and improvements. But, the 96 is still 19 years old and any updates can/should be installed during a rebuild anyway.

The 96 will be mass air but OBDII. Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Depends on your plans and goals.

I disagree with the statement "nothing special......" I own one!! So, that makes is special---or does it make me special! :beer lol

tim

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Customers at work as me this all the time about "should I do this, or that, or use this product because I have 'x' number of miles on my car?" They look at me cross-eyed when I tell them the odometer is for US, and NOT the car. True it helps us keep track of when to do preventative maintenance but if a vehicle as a whole is well maintained mileage means jack-fawking-shit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the eod was a shit trans, was superseded by the much better 4r70w trans. a 90 will have first gen fuel injection. i'd get it if its in over all good shape, you can always swap in a aod -non electric od trans.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
the eod was a shit trans, was superseded by the much better 4r70w trans. a 90 will have first gen fuel injection. i'd get it if its in over all good shape, you can always swap in a aod -non electric od trans.
Which was just an AOD, and couldn't handle the load of an F250/F350, or turbodiesel if it wanted to like the E4od can. I'm not saying it doesn't have it problems, it does. However most of them stem from its soft shifting from the factory and shitty (or non-existant) coolers. They are often saved with a simple shift kit and aux cooler.

Tell me how great the 4r100 is. :clavin :popc1:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your first sentence tells me all I need to know. If it actually is "pretty nice", the year is irrelevant, IMO. Condition is everything when you're talking 20+ year old vehicles.
I've read all the horror stories, but I've lost count on how many E4OD's I've had and what years they were, but I've never had a problem with one. That said, if I'm looking at a used Bronco (or whatever) if it doesn't shift right, I thank them for their time and walk away. That's one battle I'm not gonna fight. Too old to crawl around underneath swapping trannies and too cheap to hire it done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the way I read the response's are that the 90 tranny is crappy, if it is indeed only 78k it will probably need a rebuild before long. Unless he shows receipts for maint. performed, etc., if not then he would have to adjust his price for at least some of the cost of a rebld which he probably won't.
I haven't called him yet, but according to the add, he states that because of the looks & condition he thinks that its the 1st time around on the odo.
So it sounds like he hasn't owned it for to long, or has no history on the rig, or else he wouldn't have said this in the add. If it was closer I would just go look at it, but a 5-6 hr drive one way is just to much for me on I-5.
I guess I'll just keep looking, thanks for the replys!

I might add that I bought a new 93 F-250 with the auto & 351 & my tranny was going out at 80k so I traded the truck. It was the solenoid pack & torque converter going out, was going to cost about 3000$$ to fix. So I am a little "gun-shy" about these yrs with-out receipts or something?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Customers at work as me this all the time about "should I do this, or that, or use this product because I have 'x' number of miles on my car?" They look at me cross-eyed when I tell them the odometer is for US, and NOT the car. True it helps us keep track of when to do preventative maintenance but if a vehicle as a whole is well maintained mileage means jack-fawking-shit.
Excellent statement! :thumbup

If the truck appears is good general condition, you need to drive it and ask questions of the owner. Yes, the E4OD can be problematic if not maintained, but I would bet that E4OD has been rebuilt or replaced since 1990.

I personally have a 1990 as well and very much like it. Replacement parts are not an issue as most are the same as similar MY Ford Trucks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personally have a 1990 as well and very much like it. Replacement parts are not an issue as most are the same as similar MY Ford Trucks.
I'll second that. I've had no issues at all finding great replacement parts for my 1990 5.8L and just had a very successful junkyard run this past weekend!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,689 Posts
3rd'd on the '90 but I've got the 302 w/AOD. :shrug

(admin edit: smart-ass comment removed. some folks have 0 sense of humor.)

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,149 Posts
I have a 90 351w E4OD. When I bought it I read about the concerns on the trans. I added a large plate cooler from the JY. I turn the OD off when towing like I'm supposed to. 9 years later at 190,000 the same trans is doing fine.

The E4OD doesn't like to be overheated, but neither does any other auto. I think the real issue is the cost of a rebuild compared to simpler trannies. The E4OD is quite a bit more expensive to rebuild. If I were looking today, with my driving needs, I'd probably be looking for an 89 351w C-6 just for the cheaper rebuild cost whenever it came up. But if I were putting on a lot of highway miles I would rather have the OD.

I also use 2low (4low with manual hubs unlocked) for backing a heavy trailer uphill. I killed the trans on 95 F250 backing a heavy load uphill. That was an expensive day. I think the lower gearing is easier on the trans in those situations.

My son has a 90 302 AOD, which is a lighter duty trans. He broke the tailhousing adapter between the trans & t-case.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There's nothing special or unique about '90 trucks.
...One more Steve83 quote for my sig.

If the price is right, buy it. The only problem I've had with my E4OD is when I overheated it and blew the pump seal.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
My used and abused 89 lasted approximately 160k before completely busting a band. C6. Found a local guy in Wisconsin when I lived there, he pulled it and rebuilt it for 600 cash. PO did NO maintenance on it. Just a vehicle to drag his boat to the river on the weekends with his pals. Needed shocks, tires, brakes, and a tune up just to make it safely operable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've called twice no answer yet on the 90. Its a XLT Sport model whatever that means. Do all sport models have the f/glass fender lip extensions?? It can be seen on the Portland Or Craigslist. Its white with red extensions, & side panels. Kind of a distinctive color combo, never seen one like it before. (I think I want it really bad!!!) Although looking at the pics, it looks like there maybe a slight color difference between the hood & the fenders.
Doesn't mean that it was in a collision just maybe a repaint on the hood for whatever reason.
Anyway what do you guys think?? Pepe cracks me up, I knew you weren't flaming me! about wanting a 90!

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
The best way I know of to buy a used bronco, is to find a member on this forum that has a extensive build thread. If they ever want to sell it (because they died, likely the only reason) You know what your getting because its documented here.

Short of that, My personal preferance would be a 95 model year. It has all of the best things of the 92-96 generation, and almost none of the bad things a 96 has.

If you are willing to do an exhaustive search for a truck, you cant go wrong with a 95 from a design stand point. Is has most all the upgrades to the E4OD, 4 wheel ABS, will likely have Mass air, though some are still Speed Density. It will have a slightly better quality interior (very slightly) and hey, its 5 years newer than the one your looking at. I would look for one that is completely original unmolested in good condition with lowish mileage (100k-150k miles). Or, if you have a fat wallet, you can try to get the guy up in Ramsey, NJ (on Ebay) to find you a garage queen with 20k miles on it, just be prepared to pay a HEFTY price for it from that guy. like this one.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Bronco...66f1fd5df&item=371231544799&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

or this one...which is a 95....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Bronco...66f45290d&item=371233990925&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

But he does seem to find the cleanest low mileage broncos in the country.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Jowens thanks for the insights! I mistakenly thought that the actual best yr was the 96 (based on some of the things that I have read on this forum). Apparently its a myth that the 96 had some "updates" on the metal reinforcement around the rain gutters. Although apparently there was a service bulletin about a dealer fix or some kind of "half pass" repair on this problem.
There is a 95 EB coming up for sale locally that is being sold by the original owner with somewhere around 160k, I was kind of avoiding it because of the yr but you say that the 95 is a good yr, I will pursue it tomorrow!.
What are some of the advantages of the 95 over the 96? Thanks everybody for your time! & opinions!

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
the parts are easier to find. It less complex than the 96. Since 96 is OBDII, some states will not allow you to do certain things to the engine and emissions. Here in FLorida, you can do whatever you want for the most part as long as you pay the extortion, I mean taxes and fees.....

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
yo lincolnmatthews,

FYI;
Brochure, 90 Bronco (partial)
Source: by Ford via ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/15781/59417

Pref. Equipt Packages

Specs

Also, look for some maint records or contact a dealer to see what maint was done to it a Ford dealership in the past (need VIN)
or on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at Ford myford.fordvehicles.com (need VIN) & must register if you haven't already for your other Fords.
Check for Safety Recalls @ http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage
need VIN

See some E4OD, AOD & C6 Pan Identification & Driver Side pics;
Source: by Kenneth at
http://www.technicalvideos.com/identify_my_transmission.phtml
E4OD have 20 pan bolts

GL!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all you guys, learning a bunch here. Enjoyed looking at the 90 Brochure's brings back memories when it was kind of fun ordering something in the 80 & 90's (could actually afford something new then!)
This 90 clearly isn't correct with its f/glass fender extensions & the red tape added to the lower body. Its probably been damaged & had a repaint all except the hood. I'm going to pass on it, (they haven't called yet, which is just fine) thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts