Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990, 5.8L, e4od
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When the low beams are on the High Beam light (blue) displays "on" on the dash, when I depress the high beam switch on the floor the high beams turn on and the high beam light on the dash goes off so their switched backwards.

What would cause this to happen /
Where should I look to fix or reverse this ?
Could the high beam switch on the floor be the issue ?

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
103 Posts
I would start with the floor switch. Remove it, clean it, check voltage at the plug and try it again. I had to replace mine due to corrosion at the connector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you recently replaced bulbs? The 9004 and (I think) 9005 are almost identical but the posts are reversed

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1990, 5.8L, e4od
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you recently replaced bulbs? The 9004 and (I think) 9005 are almost identical but the posts are reversed

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
I have a 95 front end and the lamps are 9007's and yes i replaced them with LED's
Amazon.com: SEALIGHT 9007 HB5 Led Headlight Bulbs Hi/Lo Beam 12000LM 24xCSP Chips LED Conversion Kit Dual Beam Bulb 6000K White: Automotive

These new lamps come with a (2) pc socket, one fits and indexes in the factory housing then the lamp a smaller diameter slides in and also has an index where it only fit in one way but it could be upside down however there are no comments mentioning any issues with them being upside down.

I just got the bronco a week ago and I replaced the headlight Len's and lamps at the same time while I had everything apart :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
Yo Bill,
Welcome!

Here are the:
1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by Mrs BroncMom!

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example: How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winners; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

Attachments

Reactions: 724Bravo

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,275 Posts
FIgure out what is hot for low beams and hot for high beams at the headlight plug(s). Pull the wires from connector, they should be held in with a tab and swap them. Problem solved. No cutting, no splicing and it should remedy your issue.

·
Registered
1990, 5.8L, e4od
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figure out what is hot for low beams and hot for high beams at the headlight plug(s). Pull the wires from connector, they should be held in with a tab and swap them. Problem solved. No cutting, no splicing and it should remedy your issue.
Funny you mentioned that I was just about ready to do the exact same thing.
While we're at it the previous owner(s) installed lights on the bumper, one set turns on with a switch on low beam the other switched set will only turn on with the high beams switched on :rolleyes: how weird is that ?
I have located the relays for the off-road lights and I have to figure out what they did, I'll assume they used a ground from somewhere off of the High Beams to only work when the HB's are on, very strange IMO

Thanks

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,275 Posts
Funny you mentioned that I was just about ready to do the exact same thing.
While we're at it the previous owner(s) installed lights on the bumper, one set turns on with a switch on low beam the other switched set will only turn on with the high beams switched on :rolleyes: how weird is that ?
I have located the relays for the off-road lights and I have to figure out what they did, I'll assume they used a ground from somewhere off of the High Beams to only work when the HB's are on, very strange IMO

Thanks
Well, sounds like there's more to this electrical that just the reversal of those wires. Even with the flip, you may have more problems or even recreate new ones. But the best part is, the flip of the wires are the easiest and easy to put back the way they were if needed.

·
Registered
1990, 5.8L, e4od
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible that the floor mounted dimmer switch is reversed or is not possible for that to happen ?
I haven't checked that out yet.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,275 Posts
Is it possible that the floor mounted dimmer switch is reversed or is not possible for that to happen ?
I haven't checked that out yet.
I would think that because the front end was swapped, the problem lies there. Not thinking someone would have a reason to mess with the wires to the floor switch.

·
Registered
1990, 5.8L, e4od
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes thanks,

So I check the floor dimmer switch and it's working correctly I also found a wire that was "inline spiced" on the hi-beam side that would make sense regarding the Aux lighting closing that relay.
I went ahead and rotated the lamp in the aftermarket socket it took a little finessing but fit right in and that should do it.
Unfortunately I was unable to drive the Bronco around due to registration & insurance so I hadn't had the chance to drive it at night before I switched out the Headlight Len's & lamps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts