Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i recently bought a 1990 or 91 Ford Bronco Silver Anniversary edition--(confused--the owner said it was a 1990--but when i google it--the edition says 1991. I guess i could look at the title if i could find it. Anyway--it has the 5.8L. I would say it is in good shape for the most part. What i dont like is --I think someone changed out the steering column--get this---you turn the key--then there is a button on the dash that you push to make it start and there is a toggle switch near the button that you flip to make the radio, anti brakes, windows etc to work. While this is works as is---i want to put it back to the original. The column seems loose but is functional. I read some good treads here already on steering columns, where to buy rebuilt ones and how to remove the existing column--thanks for that. here are my questions? did the original column in the anniversary edition have tilt steering? Also is it suppose to have an overdrive button on end of the gear lever? Right now it does not have tilt nor does it have an overdrive button.

One other question that is not related to the Column is this----the bronco idles great. but often when i put it in drive it dies or sometimes it will like surge forward. often i stop at a redlight--it dies----unless i put my foot on the brake and increase RPMs. it drives me crazy in a busy intersection. it will always crank easy but it drives me crazy when it just dies-so alot of times i will shift to neutral before i have to stop so it will not die. it is not only driving me crazy--but it is dangerous esp-if im turning and it dies quickly. did i say it drives me crazy!! LOL--i have PTSD by the way--so please help a VET not to go crazy over this-lol--thanks---and thanks for all the help i have received in the past. This is my 6th Bronco--as in i have currently 6 broncos , but my first full size.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
984 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need a new ignition switch, im not certain how it is on your bronco, but most vehicles had a rod inside the column that went from the key down to the switch lower on the column. They jumped the wires and ran to the toggle switch, you will ahve to trace that down and find out where they cut / added wires and put it back like they was and install a new ignition switch...provided the switch is faulty.

ALso, not sure about your model, but im new to Bronco / Ford myself and it took me a couple of days to realize i had to push my blinker stalk out from me to make my column tilt!

Can't help you with the other problem sorry!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply--i agree new switch is probably a good start and i need to explore how they ran all the wires--it may be a mess. i will try to push my blinker stalk out --i never thought about that--thanks

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Ignition actuator went bad and they didnt know how to fix it so they bypassed by splicing into the wiring. It is a 91 silver anniversary; 2nd rarest broncos only produced that year. Have to replace the ignition actuator. Then remove the spliced wiring and repair the splices with solder/shrink wrap to bring it back to factory.

Idle/stall could be IAC or TPS. You can test them with the multimeter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the reply--I assume i can buy an ignition actuator for it and can install one to get it back right? thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i found where to buy the ignition actuator --not very expensive--and found a video on how to change it out---thanks again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did change the IAC and put a motorcraft on it. I thought that cured it but i drove it down the road and died again. I have a multi meter but never had the smarts on how to use it lol.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hey mark, Thanks for your service, and if you recognize that you have PTSD, that is probably the first step to recovery.

Intermittent stalls are perhaps the most frustrating of all issues.
The first thing I would do is: Pull diagnostic troubleshooting codes.
I'll look for a link on a how-to

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Joe--I know pulling codes is the best way--I've just never learned how to do it --but i think it is time i learn--thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks again Joe--that is alot of information on checking the codes---i will copy and paste to a word so i can digest it better. I know it is not the best practice but in the past--i just guess at the problem and buy and replace a part. But i really envy those folks that can identify and pinpoint problems without throwing parts on--but to be honest--I just enjoy replacing parts and making it new again but it is frustrating when you replace a part--and it didnt fix the problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds to me like you just need a new ignition switch, im not certain how it is on your bronco, but most vehicles had a rod inside the column that went from the key down to the switch lower on the column. They jumped the wires and ran to the toggle switch, you will ahve to trace that down and find out where they cut / added wires and put it back like they was and install a new ignition switch...provided the switch is faulty.

ALso, not sure about your model, but im new to Bronco / Ford myself and it took me a couple of days to realize i had to push my blinker stalk out from me to make my column tilt!

Can't help you with the other problem sorry!
thanks again---i found the tilt on the blinker stick---it worked!

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Make a video of CEL light once you ground out the plug under the hood. You need a good ground under a bolt type of ground. Rockauto has the ignition actuator for cheap.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
mark,
I am laughing to myself, because I can fully relate.
I wrote that tutorial in part for myself so that I would have instructions on HOW to pull codes.
I read three other sets of instructions, and they were not clear enough for me.

I hope that you find them helpful.

Some times you have to throw parts at a problem, because you don't have the tools to test, or the knowledge. Here you may often find the knowledge, but tools are also necessary.

Hey you are dealing with an old truck. You are in it for the long haul.
Welcome to the journey. :)

What you learn here, you will also be able to apply to later vehicles.
Enjoy!
joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks Joe--we all need people we can stand on their shoulders to learn and be mentored--i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make a video of CEL light once you ground out the plug under the hood. You need a good ground under a bolt type of ground. Rockauto has the ignition actuator for cheap.

thanks--what does CEL mean? Rockauto is my go to place.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Mark,
The greatest mentor of all is miesk5 ! Pray that he participates in any of your threads. He is THE BEST!
He has helped me tremendously. He is a brother for sure. :)

BTW: I never served, by luck of the lottery, I didn't go to Vietnam.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts