Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! Just found this forum. I bought my first Bronco in 1988, it's a 1987 XLT. Still have it, over a quarter million miles and still going strong! I've always wanted to refurbish it, but never got around to it.

Recently, as a retirement gift, I bought myself a fully refurbished 1990 Eddie Bauer. Drives and runs like a dream!

But there's a problem: while driving, it will suddenly cut out. I lose everything. No warning lights, no electric at all. Can't even get the 4 way flashers to work.

It's at the mechanic for about two weeks now, and he can't seem to figure out the problem. First, he replaced the distributor, and it ran for a few days. Then it happened again, twice! Both times I was able to pull over to the side of the road, wait a few minutes, and then it starts again.

Any help or suggestions anybody here could offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Check to make sure the battery is secure and isn't moving. I had this same issue with an 86 and the positive battery post was grounding out against the fender.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Hello everybody! Just found this forum. I bought my first Bronco in 1988, it's a 1987 XLT. Still have it, over a quarter million miles and still going strong! I've always wanted to refurbish it, but never got around to it.

Recently, as a retirement gift, I bought myself a fully refurbished 1990 Eddie Bauer. Drives and runs like a dream!

But there's a problem: while driving, it will suddenly cut out. I lose everything. No warning lights, no electric at all. Can't even get the 4 way flashers to work.

It's at the mechanic for about two weeks now, and he can't seem to figure out the problem. First, he replaced the distributor, and it ran for a few days. Then it happened again, twice! Both times I was able to pull over to the side of the road, wait a few minutes, and then it starts again.

Any help or suggestions anybody here could offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like a loose battery terminal. Going straight to the distributor seems weird. If it starts and runs fine the dizzy is probably fine as well, total loss of power while driving is a problem with the power source, the battery. If the problem was something else, you wouldn't lose all power. The engine may die, but the lights would still be on, etc.

Check everything to do with the battery, grounds and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check to make sure the battery is secure and isn't moving. I had this same issue with an 86 and the positive battery post was grounding out against the fender.
Thank you, I will check that. It is down at the shop right now. I'm wondering why they didn't check that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a loose battery terminal. Going straight to the distributor seems weird. If it starts and runs fine the dizzy is probably fine as well, total loss of power while driving is a problem with the power source, the battery. If the problem was something else, you wouldn't lose all power. The engine may die, but the lights would still be on, etc.

Check everything to do with the battery, grounds and all.
I agree. I mean I'm the lay person here but I was thinking that was a waste with the distributor. Thank you for your advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts