Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just bought a 1991 Bronco last week. Today coolant running out of the hole at the bottom of the water pump. Pretty good leak.

We are new to this. I am mechanically inclined, but I have never actually worked on an engine before. I've watched a couple videos and I feel like we can do this my question is where to buy the part (links if ya got em) and if there's anything I should know going in.

I'd appreciate any information you have.

TIA

·
Registered
829 Posts
Rockauto or Amazon. Use their selector to punch in your year model and engine. That way you won't get the wrong part.

The water pump is held in with three long bolts that are well known for snapping off which becomes a problem. Dorman makes replacement bolts though apparently they're not always in spec.

There's writeups on this.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Thank you Pollux. Any particular brand recommendation?
Motorcraft is OE and the best, only other brand that come to mind is gates, The Napa pump on mine is made by gates. If you haven't already try Rockauto, they carry good stuff and have good prices. Plus the customer service is phenomenal. If it hasn't been done lately consider replacing the timing cover gasket as well. It's not much more work while you're there and if the gasket is old there's a good chance it could spring a leak. Felpro makes a timing cover and water pump gasket set that has everything. Good time to check the timing set, A new one is cheap if the chain has significant play. Consider going with a Felpro water pump gasket regardless, the included gaskets can be kinda crappy. Be prepared for broken bolts, I broke a few on my truck. There are two bolts that hold a metal plate to the water pump. They HAVE to have a thin head or they'll keep the pump from mating correctly and cause a major leak. Most aftermarket pumps come with these bolts but they often have standard heads and won't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts