Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all names Tim,

I drive my 1991 Bronco Xlt it has the poormans diesel(4.9 engine) and the 5 speed manual trans. I've owned for 10 years now, only had 52k when I got it and now has 108k. This thing is the best darn rig i've ever owned it never lets me down(except the ocassional won't start after driving for a hour or so in the summer I think the starter gets hot but if you just let it sit for 10 min then it fires right up....if it aint broke don't fix it). One time about 2 years ago(the bronco was sitting for some time due to me having knee surgery) the birds built a friggin condo on top of the exhaust manifold and I told the wife lets go for a drive cause I was stuck on the couch from the surgery. She walked towards her car and I said lets take my bronco its been sitting to long and she said ok. Well long story short the engine caught on fire and after we put it out(burnt the crap outa all the vacuum lines) the thing fired right up and we drove home with no problems. Bullet Proof thats what my Bronco is.

Look forward to reading all the post and i'm sure i'll post some questions soon.

Tim aka TJbones

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

As for the starter motor, do a voltage drop test and see if that's the problem and replace it.

I would also test the ignition modules, remote located or especially the direct distributor mounted TFI = thick film integrated modules, are notorious for failing due to heat sink. You can have them tested FREE at most auto parts stores but "several times" for passing grade otherwise replace it with a Motorcraft.

In the future when your BKO sits for any period of time without being driven it might be a good idea to check under the hood before daily driving or on a road trip just to be sure everything is OK.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts